Asus BIOS beep code 1L 3S on start up, black screen after post

plasmaboom1

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hello everyone thank you for taking a moment to reed this.

My problem is that when i boot up my PC i get a BIOS beep code of 1 long and 3 short.
i understand that this is a GPU error so my first solution was to try and put one of my old GPU's in that i know works but i would get the same result.

i have checked all to positioning of all the cables making sure that they are all connected properly and they are.

after a little more poking for some reason from time to time no matter what card i use it will boot, give me the same 1L3S beep code but boot to windows as if nothing was wrong but after a restart in he same instance it will fall to a black screen after bios splash screen.

I saw a suggestion that it may be a BIOS update that is required so i did that but no dice still getting the same thing.

has anyone got any ideas of what it could be because i have a very bad feeling that i may have to cough up a few pounds to get a new motherboard the way things are looking.

thanks a lot!

as it posting with any video card with the same cmos boot code. it not the video card. check the ram make sure it locked in. if you still get the cmos beep failure at post take out the ram use one stick at a time see if the error still there.

plasmaboom1

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

that is the first thing i checked. i knew that a 1l3S beep code was normal memory but i didn't know it could be GPU too.
all the ram is working and sat properly. i know this for a face because i can bot up the PC with the RAM in running on on bored graphics and it boots up fine.

thanks for the suggestion though.

plasmaboom1

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 @ 3.40GHz
Motherboard: Asus H81M-A
RAM: 12GB
GPU: AMD Radeon R7 370
HDD: WD 1TB Blue
PSU make and age: 500W (idk about age and make sorry )

its a\ big heavy GPU so i am thinking that letting it hang without much suport like i have may have damaged the slot.

plasmaboom1

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

thanks for the shout. ill take a look and hope to hell that i can get it to boot again after doing it because i have just been putting this thing in to sleep mode whilst i haven't been using it because it keeps it booted lol. unfortunately it only has 1 GPU slot. with the shorting would it just be a case of loosening the mobo off a bit or mby putting a bit of card behind it ?