Backlight bleed on Asus ROG PG279Q

nikthas

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017
Hello,

I recently purchased a ROG PG279Q monitor from a local retailer, who was even kind enough to unpack the screen and set it up for me, so I could inspect it on site, before taking it home.

I am 100% sure that I took a good look at the monitor (which was connected via DP to a computer in their workshop, with the lights off in the room, black screen shown, 50% and then 25% brightness). I remember seeing only a barely noticeable spot / line of what I perceived as backlight bleed on the left edge, near the bottom corner. I watched in awe at what I considered a nearly perfect panel and happily bought it.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, the same spot is now exhibiting what I would consider noticeable backlight bleed, slightly yellow-ish in colour (did not look like this at all when I inspected it). Below is a picture with my Nexus 5x, using Open Camera (app that can be found on Google Play) with -2 EV exposure compensation, no ambient lights, about 1 - 1.2m away from the screen. Racing mode preset and 26 brightness:

NMQa5oU.jpg

I tried to make it look close to what I'm seeing, but it's still a bit exaggerated.

How come the backlight bleed didn't show up when I looked at the screen in the store?
Should I keep the screen anyway?

Thank you in advance.

Edit: Corrected a typo in the title.

nikthas

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

Well, that made me feel better, I guess.

johnnysac5

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Google "Asus monitor backlight bleed". You'll probably feel a lot better. I have an Acer Z35P coming to me on Friday. If the blb is similair to yours I'll consider myself lucky.

nikthas

Prominent
Oct 8, 2017

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, I've been busy lately.
Thank you for your input!