Zen 1, Zen 2, or Coffee Lake?

ammrzman

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015
I'm planning to upgrade my CPU. Currently im using i5-4690K. The question is, should i buy the current Ryzen or wait for the Zen 2 Pinnacle Ridge/Coffee Lake?

If waiting is the way to go, then which is the better choice? I'm on the AMD side but when they announced the coffee lake, i wasn't so sure anymore.

Thank you

Thinking like that, you'd be waiting forever !! There is always something better lurking in the background (and future).
Best policy is to "suffer" with what you have as long as it meets your needs. When it stops doing that go for best present setup you can afford.

I have to admit, Coffee Lake and the 8700K looks very good indeed. The price looks good (if you can get it) and the Motherboards are not priced badly..oh and they look great too. You can make a case for Ryzen as well but if Gaming is important and now with 6 cores and 6 threads it matches the Ryzen..just about in productivity..oh and it overclocks to 5Ghz...you should at the very least get 4.8GHz across all cores without any troubles.

ammrzman

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

I'm asking because i'm not in a rush to upgrade, and the new CPUs are coming pretty soon. Im just wondering is it worth the wait.

ammrzman

Reputable
Jul 19, 2015

Yes i agree with you. I'm able to overclock to 4.5GHz just on air cooler. But you gotta admit, it is a pretty old CPU

I'm still on a 2500K mate. :D