Wifi keeps dropping during streaming

paul_moldovan90

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Here's my problem: I have a ps4, a xbox 360, a nintendo switch and a smart TV all connected via wifi. If I want to watch a stream on youtube or twitch then every 30 seconds or so the video will start buffering and it takes like another 30 seconds to come back to normal.

My router is not an expensive one and here is my question. If I buy a better router will my problem be solved or do I have to connect the devices by cable?

Router: TP-Link TL-WR1043ND v2

I can always buy a better router but I don't want to spend 300-400 euro for a new router just to find out that it was all for nothing.

If you have the option to use cables that is best. If you are going to spend money it would be better invested in powerline networks to allow you to connect to devices that you can not easily run ethernet to.

Unfortunately with wifi there really is not way to say for sure what is causing the problems. The router you have is not a bad router it will perform as well as most other similar routers. The particular router you have may have become defective but there is no way to say for sure. Your problem could be interference from outside your house. A new router will not solve that issue.

I guess the first step is to try to change the radio channels and see if it gets better. You could also force the router to use only 20mhz channels. These suggestions do not work as well as they used to because the newest routers tend to use all the channels for one device so you could have a single neighbor hogging all the radio channels.

first I would like to state 300mbs for streaming is not optimal solution at all especially for multiple devices connected to it.

But before changing your router, make sure your have streaming abilities turned on your wifi.. (yes its usually off by default)
your user manual is located at https://www.manualslib.com/manual/326015/Tp-Link-Tl-Wr1043nd.html

on page 53 of this user manual make sure that your "Enable WMM - WMM function can guarantee the packets with high-priority messages being
transmitted preferentially." is turned on.

But remember the speed will only be as good as the kind of connection the device connection with your router will have. 11g is much slow than 11n, and I see this is a adsl router, I would check the speed you actually get from your ISP as well, as this will very much affect how your streaming experience will be.
you can get a result of speed down and up... https://www.megapath.com/speedtestplus/

paul_moldovan90

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

Okay then. Thanks for the help. I will use cables... I wanted to avoid drilling holes through walls but I need that stable internet connection.

Thanks again.

paul_moldovan90

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017

Thank you. I will look for that option as soon as I get home. As for the speed I think I'm good. I have the most expensive package available in my country.
I was thinking of testing with the router from a friend and see if it will solve anything. I will get back to you if I find any solution. Thanks.