Upgrade old i5 2400 to i5 8600k

Xhindo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello together!

I´d like to ask such following "problem".

I want to upgrade my computer the next time. I only use it for gaming.

Atm i have and old i5 2400 / 8 gb RAM / MB Asus P8H67 / Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1060/6Gb

My idea was to buy

i5 8600 k / ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H Gaming / 16 GB RAM (Ballistix?)

And an AIO 280mm Cooling (Maybe bequiet! SilentLoop or the Corsair)

What you think of this combination ? or you got other ideas for the "same power" with better prices ? (Ryzen?)

The watercooling are just for the "cosmetic" character of my Chassis (Sharkoon DG7000 red / 3 Fans). It looks smarter than a standard air cooler, in my opinion.

When i will buy the AIO, the 2nd, smaller question, is:

In my chassis i can only install the 280mm Radiator in the front. My idea for the fans:

Front : Blowing fresh air INTO the chassis through the radiator
Top: Blowing air OUT of the chassis (2x 140mm possible)
Back: Same as Top (1x 140mm)

I hope you can help me with this datas.

THANKS

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
That CPU upgrade is fine. As an avid Ryzen enthusiast, even I can admit that Coffee Lake i5s are significantly better than Ryzen for gaming loads.

As for radiator placement, it depends on your fan setup. You're going to want more intake fans than exhaust, so I recommend changing your top and back fans as intake fans and setting your radiator as your exhaust. I like JayzTwoCents' video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a12aDCxrcts

For fan setup, radiator can be used as front intake with no problems. Obviously you will get some more hot air into the case but this can be kind of offset with another intake fan. The problem with intake fans are that it is best to place them where you have a dust filter, also top mounted fans, let it be intake or exhaust, will always collect a lot of dust. But with your specific case you have limited options, so maybe it's better to do as @JalYt_Justin suggest.

Xhindo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017

Hello,

thanks. My case got 1 dust filter in the front(Whole length of 2x 140mm fan), one at the ground(Under the PSU) and on the top there is an magnetic dust filter i can put on or take away.

I just thought, cause warm air will go "up", that 2 top fans who pulls out that warm air, are a good solution

It's probably a fine solution for your case. I also have a 280 rad in my case by i'm lucky to have space for a 140mm fan at the bottom, next to the PSU, with a dust filter as well, so i'm using that for intake to supply cold air to the GPU.

Xhindo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017

Thanks for your reply.

I dont know if it matters, but the GPU has also 3 fans.. But i think the fans only can blow the already warm air in the case through the GPU; or ?

Yes it can, so basically your 2 options are..

1. Front mount Rad as intake and the rear/top as exhaust - Gives better CPU temps but worse GPU temps
2. Front mount read as exhaust and rear/top as intake - Gives worse CPU temps but better GPU temps.

In the end it is usually only a couple of degrees difference doing one over another option. Just figure what can best handle a couple more degrees and keep in mind you will get a lot of dust inside your case if you are doing rear/top as intake.

The GTX 1060 will not really be bottlenecked by the I5-8600K, maybe a tiny bit but he should see better FPS with the 8600K than the 7500 or the R5-1400, so no problems with that combo.

Xhindo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Does anyone know, especially for that Mainboard on the top (z370) how much pins the "AIO_Pump_connector" has ?

I saw some AIO with a 3 pin pump connector, some with 4. This speccial AIO Connector on the Mainboard will be fine for the AIO

Xhindo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello together,

thanks for all your answers. I got just one last thing, before i open a new thread.

At the moment im looking for the RAM.

I got 2 RAM´s nearly cost the same in my country

1) The Ballistix Sport LT 16 gb (2x 8 gb) DDR4 2666 MHz (CL 16-18-18)

2) T-Force Nighthawk 16 gb (2x 8gb) DDR4 3200 MHz (CL16-18-18-38)

The price difference are around € 10.

The i5 8600 k supports "official" 2666 Mhz / The MB supports much more.

What you think which will be worth ? 10 EUR more for the Nighthawk ?

rgds

Xhindo

Honorable
Mar 5, 2017
Hello again,

last thing before the Thread can be closed.
I may can get the i7 8700(non k).

Is it wort it ? It cost "only" around € 50 more then the i5 8600k.

Should i better wait until the i5 is in stock (In a far future... ;-) ) or get the i7 now ?