why the hate?

durfgibbles

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
why is there so much hate for windows 10? it is a good operating system and I have had nothing but positive experiences with it. so why do people hate windows 10?

Solution
It's all conjecture and speculation but my theory is that most people who don't like it rushed the upgrade, not realizing most of the programs they had installed on Win 7 or 8.1 wouldn't work, so when they went to upgrade, a good portion of their programs were incompatible and this lead to Blue Screens, and many had to do clean installs, losing a lot of data.

It's not the fault of the OS, most people should be backing up their data and researching whether their programs are Win 10 compatible. People got into a frenzy and rushed for the free upgrade with no research beforehand.

Some people don't like the UI and features, but I think most of the deterrers are people who as I mentioned had a bad experience.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
It's all conjecture and speculation but my theory is that most people who don't like it rushed the upgrade, not realizing most of the programs they had installed on Win 7 or 8.1 wouldn't work, so when they went to upgrade, a good portion of their programs were incompatible and this lead to Blue Screens, and many had to do clean installs, losing a lot of data.

It's not the fault of the OS, most people should be backing up their data and researching whether their programs are Win 10 compatible. People got into a frenzy and rushed for the free upgrade with no research beforehand.

Some people don't like the UI and features, but I think most of the deterrers are people who as I mentioned had a bad experience.

Solution

Andy_K

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
Well I use win10 at work, have no problems with it at all, it's solid and has never crashed.

But I'm sticking with Win7 at home, as 10 doesn't actually do anything that makes the huge effort of migrating across worthwhile.
it's not the big applications, its all the little tools etc.. that might not work.

There are a few things I dislike.

1. Mandatory updates. This can be deferred some by paying extra for PRO.
I like to schedule updates when it is convenient for ME.

2. Heavy instrumentation. There are about 10 privacy settings that monitor what you are doing. Most, but not all can be turned off. That is where Microsoft makes their money, selling that info. I do not begrudge them that, but I resent the overhead.

3. Loss of functions. My son runs mediacenter on windows 7. It was omitted on windows 10.
No doubt there are replacements. I have a need for 32 bit windows on a small pc. Yes, windows 10 does have a 32 bit version but the intel integrated graphics is no longer supported on windows 10 32 bit.

4. I dislike the appearance which seems optimized to touch screen, not a mouse.
Windows classic shell helps a bunch with this.

Hate windows 10?? no. But, I see no big advantage to me in changing until I want to upgrade my pc to newer tech.

MickyDee

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2007
I moved 3 of my computers to Win 10 and did not have one BSOD through to the current update have had no problems. People just didn't like being told this is what you will use, so they fought it.

Why is everything Microsoft do so heavily criticised by the media? Not saying Microsoft are perfect but they do get a very unfair beating by the media in general, my opinion is people are more interested in reading about failures so negative articles get more readers/subscribers so a lot is written from the perspective of what will maximise the number of readers instead of what is an unbiased article.

g-unit1111

Titan

I think a lot of people hate Windows 10 because they tried to merge cell phone functions with desktops and laptops and you just can't do it. Cell phones are cell phones. Laptops and desktops are laptops and desktops. There's a lot of hate for the Windows app store and the ads on the lock screen. That's mainly where a lot of the hate comes from at least in my opinion and what I've seen on here and elsewhere.

The other thing about Windows 10 - that at least I have a complaint with - is that everything is now called a "device". A $2,000 desktop PC =/= a device. A $3,000 laptop =/= a device. Devices are tablets and cell phones and that weird Surface desk thing they have.

Problems I or my clients have had with Win 10:

• ■Upgrade was supposed to be optional, but happened anyway on a *lot* of systems. Two clients called me for Internet problems, and it turned out to be because they were on slow DSL connections and Windows had been saturating it downloading the nearly 2GB Win 10 upgrade. (A couple of these were standalone server-type machines which sat in a closet with nobody touching the mouse and keyboard, so there's no way anyone could have "agreed" to the upgrade. But it happened anyway.)
    ■The scammy way Microsoft tried to get people - who had already said they ddin't want the upgrade - to upgrade to it. Including changing the normal functionality of the confirmation dialog box (clicking cancel agreed to the update and scheduled it for later; you had to click the X in the upper right to avoid it).
    ■It prioritizes generic Windows 10 drivers over hardware-specific Win 7/8 drivers. I've had multiple calls for equipment which initially worked after upgrading suddenly stopping working. Upon investigation, Win10 had overwritten a working driver with a non-working generic Win 10 driver. It used to have a setting to prevent updates to specific drivers, but they inexplicably removed that option in the Oct 2016 update.
    ■Can't turn automatic updates off. Well, you can on the Enterprise version. All my clients are small businesses which use the retail versions (Home, Pro). Combine it with overwriting functional drivers above, and you have a recipe for disaster.
    ■You can disable automatic updates by disabling the update service, but it's all or nothing. Win7's option of security updates only, security + other OS updates, or security + OS + app updates was much better. My (older) gaming laptop never got Win10 drivers, so I have to keep it disabled or Win10 automatically installs nonfunctional graphics drivers. Once a month I have to enable updates to get security updates, disable it again, then manually reinstall the graphics drivers which work.
    ■Certain updates keep changing your settings back to default, re-enabling Cortana and/or putting the Windows Store back on your task bar. I didn't want them so I disabled them. Re-enabling them in an update isn't going to make me want to use them, it's going to make me hate Win 10. (You can guess what's going on. iOS and Android get a 30% cut of everything sold through their respective stores. Microsoft wet themselves thinking of collecting a 30% cut of every Windows program sold. So they tried as hard as they could to get people to use Windows Store, including re-enabling it even if you'd disabled it. It's why they made it the *only* way you were allowed to sell full-screen Windows Metro apps.)
    ■These updates sometimes reset lot of default apps back to Microsoft apps. If the user took the time to change a setting, they did it because they wanted to change the setting. Changing it back to defaults just because you're butthurt they didn't pick your app wastes the user's time and builds up enmity and resentment against you.
    ■A lot of control panel settings confusingly split between the Windows-mode control panel and Metro-mode control panel. It'd be ok if all options were available on both, but some are only available through one or the other.
    ■Needlessly rearranged the locations of a lot of settings and controls.
    ■Encrypted telemetry sent back to Microsoft which they won't say what it contains. I hate to go conspiracy theory, but if it *really* only contained OS feedback, why do they make it so hard to turn off, and why is it disabled in the enterprise version? The evidence points to it containing usage info that companies and probably most people would be upset about if they knew they were collecting it, which is why the enterprise version doesn't have it.
    ■Tries really really hard to trick you into creating a Microsoft Account to login. Unless you use Microsoft's online services a lot, there's very little reason to do this. And a huge downside in that you may not be able to login to your computer after a period (a month?) of no Internet connectivity.
    ■No boot time way to enter safe mode. You have to select to boot into safe mode while in Windows. Which is kinda hard to do if the reason you need to enter safe mode is because normal boot mode isn't working.
    ■System restore disabled by default. This is a real PITA when combined with the driver update problem mentioned above.
    ■That stupid flat UI trend which makes it impossible to distinguish UI elements from displayed data. This has been scientifically proven to slow down people's ability to navigate the UI. It's change for change's sake (i.e. following a trend), and a change for the worse at that.
    ■Shutdown doesn't shut down the system. It puts it into a quasi-hibernate mode. To do a true shutdown, you have to paradoxically pick Restart. Which has the unfortunate side-effect of restarting the computer immediately after it does the full shutdown. I can see why they did this on systems on HDDs. But it does nothing for systems on SSDs, and complicates the troubleshooting process.
    "I shut it down, and when I restarted the problem is still there."
    "You have to Restart it."
    "But I did restart it."
    "No, not shut down and power on again. You have to select the 'Restart' option from the power menu."
All in all though it's an improvement over Win 8. I'm not so sure about over Win 7. It's better in some respects, worse in others. But you kinda have to go with it because Windows 7 only has a little more than 2 years of extended support left (after which they will stop making security patches).

It's mainly "old school" who dislike Windows 10 (ie people like me who've been computing for decades - starting with the first mainstream version of Windows, and DOS command-line programming before that.).

Technically, Win10 is the most advanced Windows version yet, but the UI is such a break from what I've been used to, that's why I dislike it, plus you can't disable automatic updates any more (not without some skulduggery in the registry).

But if your first introduction to a Windows PC was only a few years ago (post Windows 7), then you're not going to dislike Windows 10 in the same way that I do. Even I will have to use it (or it's successor) one day, but it's not in my household yet.

Wow, I just scrolled up to see the length of this discussion - - - it's certainly generated some interest.