Hooking up one 1080p monitor and a 720p tv to a PC

PeterPinus

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
Hi!

I recently bought a Dell U2417H monitor and it will be my main monitor. Previously I had a Samsung 720p TV. I wanted to use both of these with my PC, how can I do this? Can I use the Displayport on the PC to the Dell and then the Displayport out on the Dell to HDMI in on the Samsung? (the TV doesn't have DP in, so I would have to use a DP to HDMI cable from the Dell to the Samsung)

Solution

Yes, just make sure windows is set to extend the displays not duplicate.

What other way would you do it? Daisy chain the monitors? I am not sure if that would work at all.

All you have to do is plug in the HDMI cable from the TV into the GPU and the display port cable from the monitor into the GPU. Then right click on the desktop, select display settings, and make sure it is set to extended under...

PeterPinus

Distinguished
May 14, 2015

Thanks for the reply! It is an R9 270X DCII TOP and it has an HDMI port and a DP port. With that method will I be able to use both screens or will it just be a mirrored image?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Yes, just make sure windows is set to extend the displays not duplicate.

What other way would you do it? Daisy chain the monitors? I am not sure if that would work at all.

All you have to do is plug in the HDMI cable from the TV into the GPU and the display port cable from the monitor into the GPU. Then right click on the desktop, select display settings, and make sure it is set to extended under multiple displays. You can change the orientation of the monitors by dragging the 1 and 2 where you want them to be.

Capture.png

Solution