Cpu not supported windows 8.1

jojos13

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
So I just built my new PC and I installed windows 8.1 and after like a day of using my PC and setting up all my settings for my games and everything else on my pc I got a Microsoft message saying "Unsupported Hardware" and that my CPU was not supported on windows 8.1 and that I am not going to get anymore windows security updates.

So what i'm asking is should I worry about not getting the security updates and just keep closing out of that Microsoft tab every time it pops up and keep using my PC like usual or should I upgrade to windows 10? I really don't want to upgrade and have to reinstall all my games and programs because it took me 2 days to install everything. But if you guys think that I should upgrade how should I go about it? Should I buy windows 10 and upgrade or is there a way to upgrade to windows 10 and not have to pay 100$? Because I really don't have that money just lying around.

My friend was telling me to use some Media creation tool and download windows 10 onto a usb and then plug it into my PC and just upgrade it like that and that I wont need a Windows 10 activation key but that just sounds a little sketchy to me that I would just get windows 10 for free.

Solution
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

Having said that, if you should cough need some Assistive feature the above may work.

I guess you just click the "Windows 10 Free Upgrade..." link in the article. I did and it takes me to a Microsoft page.

I suspect it will ask you to create a W10 Install DVD/USB image using the media creation tool. If so, it would go like this:
1) download the tool
2) insert 8GB+ USB stick (or DVD-DL but USB stick is best)
3) run tool and wait to finalize download + install
4) run "setup.exe" from the tool (if I remember correctly) and follow instructions

5) *Make sure it works then DELETE the W8 backup (Google or ask for how but it should be under "Disk...
First off, you didn't list the CPU so I'll assume it's Ryzen or a recent Intel CPU so your unsupported issue is genuine.

I would upgrade, however you do NOT have to reinstall Windows.

Windows 10 can upgrade from W8 to W10 with minimal hassle.

*The W10 media tool method isn't free per say. You'll just end up with an unactivated version of W10 which I believe gives you 30 days use before it disables certain features.

So... for now I'd just close out the warning and not worry about security updates yet but then at some point buy Windows 10. Microsoft has said W10 is the "last" version so it will just continue to be updated.

Some people have speculated Microsoft may make W10 free to encourage more adoption. Who knows.

unclebun

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
You can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Here's a zdnet article about how to do it. It will activate using your existing Windows 8 or 7 key.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-offer-assistive-features/

Having said that, if you should cough need some Assistive feature the above may work.

I guess you just click the "Windows 10 Free Upgrade..." link in the article. I did and it takes me to a Microsoft page.

I suspect it will ask you to create a W10 Install DVD/USB image using the media creation tool. If so, it would go like this:
1) download the tool
2) insert 8GB+ USB stick (or DVD-DL but USB stick is best)
3) run tool and wait to finalize download + install
4) run "setup.exe" from the tool (if I remember correctly) and follow instructions

5) *Make sure it works then DELETE the W8 backup (Google or ask for how but it should be under "Disk Cleanup"-> "Cleanup System Files"
6) make a backup IMAGE ideally that you can restore (i.e. Acronis True Image Free or similar)

Solution

Interesting... he got the upgrade to work with no key? (not talking about Assistive Version)

*It's probably then worth TRYING. Worst-case is you upgrade and it doesn't give you a key (doesn't activate). if so, you can still RESTORE to Windows 8 as a backup should have been created then try the Assistive version.

I would strongly recommend making an IMAGE of C-drive first to another drive, and have the boot disc to RESTORE that image should anything get screwed up.

Yes, the upgrade works fine from within activated 7 or 8.1, either with the assistive .exe file online, or USB/.iso installer. It doesn't appear to work for a clean install when booting from the installer anymore, but once Win 10 is installed and activated once, you can then wipe the drive and clean install as many times as you like.

If you would really rather prefer to stay with 7 or 8.1, the unofficial Zeffy Patch lets WindowsUpdates work again on newer processors.