is MSI CPU Cooler, Silver/Black (Core Frozr L) a good cooler for i7 7700k

ataraxeygaming

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
looking at getting a
MSI CPU Cooler, Silver/Black (Core Frozr L)
for my i7 7700k, don't plan on OCing very much until later on if I need too, was wondering if this is a good fan for an i7 7700k, going with all red / msi build and this one looks great with my build but was wondering if it was good.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On an i7-4790k it came in at equal to a NH-D14. With a I7-6700k it came in a little worse. But the difference being that on those benchs, the coolers were not pushed to max ability. The NH-D14 has considerably higher ability than the frozr L, so basically you are looking at a cooler that'll realistically place somewhere right in between the Cryorig H7 and the Cryorig H5 in overall ability. What that'll be is @4.6Ghz or so depending on voltages on that 7700k.

Bonus : it does look sweet for sure.
Bogey : because of the extra stuff around the heatsink there's a real potential problem with the fan and some ram, meaning you'd have to raise the fan to clear the ram. This has 2 affects, that being you loose a good chunk of the coolers efficiency as the fan top is no longer behind the heatsink and the heatsink bottom has no fan coverage, and if the cooler stock just barely fits your case, raising the fan might be a deal breaker.

ataraxeygaming

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
is a i7 7700k 4.2 GHz processor, I don't plan on OC at all until way way later, ive never OCed any of my stuff yet, would this keep it cool with no OCing { will buy a really good one later if I do OC}

FD2Raptor

Admirable
Uh... https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Core_Frozr_L/6.html

It's performance is roughly on par with the U12S rather than the D14 on Skylake 6700k Stock.
And when you look at the 6700k 4.6Ghz OC i.e. roughly Turbo Boost clock of the 7700k you see it fall just short of the U12S.

Basically it's an average performing cooler and for ~$50 there are other better cooling options, but if you're getting it for its looks then by all means...

Unless you're going to meticulously comb through the MB BIOS to disable them, some "Core Enhancements" options in there are always going to automatically push your CPU to a higher clock than it's 4.2Ghz stock.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Uh.
Reference that techpower article.
Read what I wrote.
I said it was a little worse that the D14. If you read the guru3d.com article on the i7-4790k at 4.6GHz,1.3v, it cones in at 75°C under 100%cpu. Identical to the D14, D15S and a couple others, only 1°C behind the D15. But as I said, those were cpu limitations, not the limits of the coolers themselves. The Noctuas have a much higher limitation. The U12S could very well be maxed out in that test, whereas the frozr L might Stull be able to perform at higher usage, if you added 10 more watts, the frozr might have gone up 2°C and the U12S gone up 10°C . The benchs don't show cooler limits. They only show efficiency at whatever the test bench is set for. So taking single readings from a single review isn't a good idea unless that review does several tests, increasing wattage till the cooler is saturated.

But from all that I read into it, I agree that it's a mid-range cooler, better than the hyper212 / H7 but not as good at the larger H5. Compatability should put it on par with. Corsair H70 aio, Raijintek Ereboss etc.

FD2Raptor

Admirable
The varying condition and design is why I put most confidence with the review on Skylake platform which we can agree is the most similar to OP's Kabylake platform; the CPU that OP is looking to cool, the 7700k has single core TB of 4.5Ghz, all cores TB of 4.4Ghz, making its stock config somewhat in between the two test result (if OP does go and make sure that the MB's auto OC-ing "Cores Enhancements" option in BIOS is disabled, otherwise he may just see 4.5-4.6Ghz all cores when he thought that it's running at "stock" config).

And my problem with the Core Frozr L is just I wasn't comparing its cooling performance with the more expensive D14/D15, but with the similarly priced Scythe Fuma, a Toms Editor Recommended CPU Cooler which is exactly in this price range, Amazon or Newegg.

TPU's 4.6Ghz OC tests shows the Fuma always ahead of the Core Frozr L, and very often within a hair of the Cryorig R1 and Noctua D14/15; Toms' test with the 140W TDP 5930k also yielded a similar result with the Fuma being just a few degrees short of the more expensive R1.

To use your own words, the Core Frozr L could very well be maxed out in that test, whereas the Fuma might still be able to perform at higher usage.

Which is why I can't quite agree with OP spending ~$50 now for the Core Frozr only to spend more money to "buy a really good one later" when for that same ~$50 he could outright get something that would already be ~90-95% of the best of air/AIO has to offer.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
True. But the Scythe Fuma is a pita to get ahold of. Every site I've checked has seemed to be out of stock. I answered a post a while back about the Fuma, found it in Amazon, went to put it in a build not 10mins later, was OOS. It's almost as bad as trying to get an H7 when they first came out and only NCIX Canada carried them. Scythe needs to up its game, been this way even with the GT's.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Huh? All the lga11xx series are the same. 1156, 1155, 1150, 1151 are all the same bracket dimensions, so dunno why it'd come back as incompatible with mobo. I could see if it's incompatible with the case, the V8 is huge at 168mm tall.
This is from CoolerMaster website :
CPU Socket
Intel®: LGA 2066 / 2011-3 / 2011 / 1366 / 1156 / 1155 / 1151 / 1150 / 775
AMD: FM2+ / FM2 / FM1 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2

FD2Raptor

Admirable
I hate to sound all doom and gloom here, but with that View 27 case, your only meaningful upgrade path in term of cooling would be.... the Scythe Fuma.... since all the other air towers with more cooling performance like the Noctua D14/15 or Cryorig R1 can't fit inside the 155mm max CPU cooler height afforded by the Thermaltake case.

With just one 120mm exhaust fan, it's also insufficient for dealing with the heat from both a ~100W TDP CPU and a ~300W TDP GPU which mean you're going to see high temps inside the case with a front mounted radiator liquid loop.

From Toms Review of the MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X:
The only flaw worth mentioning is the positioning of the memory's power supply, which MSI cools with a plate. The excess heat produced there does affect the three neighboring memory modules in particular. Thus, you probably don't want a case with restricted airflow since 300W of power consumption translates to a lot of extra heat that needs to be exhausted.

The fact that the MSI GTX1080Ti Gaming X GDDR5 already runs at ~85°C inside a closed case in Toms' 30mins Gaming test, not far from the 95°C that it's rated to operate at, (and 96°C under 30 mins Furmark stress test), leaving very little leeway for any extra heat from a AIO rad to be recirculated back into the card cooling system before an increase in failure rate can be expected.

If you really like the View 27 case, go with the Scythe Fuma right away; if you really like the MSI Core Frozr L cooler, pick a different case with better airflow like say... the Phanteks Pro M TG, Silverstone RL06BR-GP, Fractal Design Meshify C, etc...

fireangel1996

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
well main reason I was getting that case is for the Vertical mount , do any of theses u linked do vertical mount for GPU , or if not do you know of any good cases that can around 150 or under?

FD2Raptor

Admirable

Open case is probably preferred for your purpose since with the usual mid-tower design, the vertically-mounted-GPU sits far too close to the side panel and in most case ended up starving for air (more than 10°C hotter) or have issue fitting with wider/fatter air cooler (i.e. requiring smaller PCB Founder edition graphic card or liquid cooling setup).

Although do note that there are mixed info about whether the case shipped with a PCIe riser cable or not, so you may want to take that into consideration with regards to budget.

About the Deepcool AIO, all indicators seem to suggest that it has good cooling performance; but with Deepcool claiming that this is their proprietary design and not another Asetek OEMed, the unit longevity/durability is still a question mark.

ataraxeygaming

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
ya i was planning to ^^ also gonna give a big thanks to everyone that has helped so far lol ^^, im just trying to learn how to over clock my cpu to atlest 4.6 cus i have never over clocked yet lol