Geekbench score goes down after upgrade in RAM (8GB to 16GB)

bazpaul

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Hi guys, I wonder can you help.

My old Geekbench score hovered around the 4200 mark with 8GB of ram (Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz).

Just the other day I bought new 16gb ram (also Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz). However my Geekbench score has dropped to below 4000 - it hovers around 3900.

Any reason why? I literally have no chnaged anything else.

How would I test this new ram to make sure its performign optimially. I ran memtest and it found no errors.

DamagedEngine

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
Check that you are making use of the Dual Channel mode on your motherboard by plugging your ram sticks into the appropriate Motherboard slots (plug ram into ports with the same colors).

Also go into your BIOS and check your RAM settings including clock speed. The clock speed of your ram should be set to the manufacturer specification of 1600mhz, but the motherboard may be running it at a lower speed.

bazpaul

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Thanks for answers guys I only have 2 slots and went from 2x4gb to 2x8gb.

The ram is reading correctly in cpuID and passes memtest.

I just can get higher score in geekbench. When I changed processor speed the score jumped up

Did you happen to take a screen shot of the memory tab in CPUID of the old memory? Things like dual channel, operating frequency, and major timings like CAS is what I would check. Geekbench will allude to an issue in the memory latency / bandwidth tests it does.