Case Fan Basics

James9oo0

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Hey guys,

Essentially I want a proper resource to explain how to adjust the number of case fans to the motherboard fan headers because I sure as hell couldn't find one. I'm going to be building a desktop soon and I need the help.

Alright Questions to be answered:

What's the difference between connecting Case Fans to the MOBO vs. PSU?

How do you connect case fans to the PSU?

How do the AIO Cooler fans work?

What happens if there aren't enough fan headers on your MOBO for the number of fans you want in your system? Is there some kind of cable that addresses this?

Since I do want this to be a proper resource that people can access and find their every case fan problem :p please add additional information that might end up being really important in the building process.

Thanks

http://www.nmbtc.com/fans/

http://www.nmbtc.com/fans/cpu-cooling-fan/

What it doesnt say:
Mobo connected fans can be speed adjusted, either through bios/uefi or software. You can also buy a dedicated controller to adjust speeds.
When connected directly to the Psu through a molex adapter they will run allways at full speed.

An AIO (all in one) is a closed water cooling system. It runs with a cooling liquid of some sort being pumped to a continuous motion drawing heat from the cpu to a radiator where it gets cooled. The fans blow cool air through the radiator to help cool the liquid flowing through it. Just like a car radiator.

I guess that basicly explains it simply.

As far as how many fans and which ones to use, there is no definitive answer. It has to do with the case you have and its airflow, cable management, ambient temperature, OC or not as well as better or worse quality cpu (usually called "silicon lottery") and so on..

James9oo0

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Thanks for the reply bro,

A couple of Comments:

Nice I don't know how you found it but nice :'D

My question pertained to the actual fans on the AIO. Are they connected to a header on the MOBO or do they have their own thang so to speak.

James9oo0

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017

So say you want to replace the fans on the AIO. You will have to connect the cables of the new mounted fans to somewhere on the AIO directly? Assuming this is a conventional AIO

Yes. The fans in the AIO are normal fans. You can buy other fans and connect them there. In some you can also add extra fans on the other side of the radiator making the ones in one side push air through the rad while the others on the other side pull air from the radiator. Usually called push-pull configuration.

James9oo0

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017

Cool thanks bro, I appreciate the help :)