How to get win10 from 8/8.1 for free now?

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
I'll try to make this as simple as possible. I was running win 10 for over a year now on a machine that came with 8/8.1. I was running windows 10 on my SSD. The original OEM drive (HDD) came with 8 and upgrade to 8.1, then I cloned it over to my Samsung SSD with the included software. Now I can only reinstall 10 via installation media onto the SSD, but I get a ton of errors and blue screens.

I booted up into 8.1 on the HDD and did a full factory wipe and it seems to be good.. The SSD is not hooked up and all and i'm going to wait until I have the most current OS, completely format the drive and then clone it over again.

The Microsoft site is telling me that I can't get windows 10 again for free. Is there anyway to do this considering I have been running it for over a year? This system wont upgrade and I don't wanna mess with the SSD. I would prefer to just do everything completely fresh on this main drive and then copy to the SSD.

If I stay on 8.1 am I really missing out on any performance issues? I mostly game and do audio production.