Hard drives installed via the same laptop running different operating systems

pevers31

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2012
Installed windows 10 pro on one hard drive, used another hard drive to install windows 7 pro but in the same laptop which means that each hard drive has been assigned with the letter "C" by the computer. I have installed the one of the hard drives with the Windows 7 operating system as the main hard drive in this laptop,the other has been used to run the windows 10 pro O/S ,both systemswork independently when installed as the only hard drive in the machine. I intend to use both hard drives with the 2nd installed in a dvd drive caddy, thereby replacing the normally assigned "D" letter,so I thought but now having read some of the comments are now wondering how to do this, will the computer get confused and load neither, or will I get the option at the start up as to which hard drive to use? Obviously I am worried as to what might happen, will I loose the boot section in one hard drive, both, or will this just crash, refusing to start either, infecting one hard rive with the other operating system, am puzzled as to the outcome, has anyone tried this?

Solution
Whichever OS you boot into will see itself as the C drive.
Any other drive or partition will be D or otherwise.

One of my laptops:
Win 7
Win 10 Preview
1 drive, 2 partitions

Boot into Win 7, that is the C drive. The other partition containing Win 10 is the D partition.
Reboot, and boot into the Win 10. That is now the C drive, and the Win 7 partition is the D>

No problems.
This is how it supposed to work.

USAFRet

Titan
Whichever OS you boot into will see itself as the C drive.
Any other drive or partition will be D or otherwise.

One of my laptops:
Win 7
Win 10 Preview
1 drive, 2 partitions

Boot into Win 7, that is the C drive. The other partition containing Win 10 is the D partition.
Reboot, and boot into the Win 10. That is now the C drive, and the Win 7 partition is the D>

No problems.
This is how it supposed to work.

Solution