Please help me. Second monitor detected but not working...

Azamato

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Bad luck keeps piling up..
This time I have an issue with my 2nd monitor not showing..
So I built a new PC and after already having windows issues, ram issues, hdd issues and all that. I noticed my graphics card doesn't have a DVI I port but a DVI D port.. sigh... I guess I'll spend another 15 euro to buy a DVI I to DVI D adapter.. My 2nd monitor only has a VGA cable so I used a VGA to DVI I for my last graphics card but now I have to plug in an adapter for the adapter and plug it in.
Windows 10/Nvidia detect my 2nd monitor and use the correct resolution it can handle. I can move stuff over and if I take a screenshot I can see it's "working" but my screen is black and the LED is on orange..
I have the latest NVIDIA drivers. The card is a Zotac GTX 1060 3GB. The monitor is Acer X193HQ. I also use the "extend" option.
Please help me.. I'm a student and this is basically the last of my wallet that I had to spend and I'm so tired of having to buy stuff that doesn't work..

Azamato

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

My monitor only has a VGA cable. I always used the DVI-I adapter that was given to me with the graphics card. But now I have the GTX 1060 and they didn't include anything. It only has a DVI D port and HDMI + Some display 1.4 ports. I bought a DVI-I to DVI-D adapter and now i can plug it in and it detects but it doesn't work..

Azamato

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

Yeah it's this one https://www.allekabels.be/dvi-kabel/15/1284622/dvi-i-koppelstuk.html it's in dutch though..

Mind you my connections are like this: VGA - VGA to DVI I adapter - DVI I adapter to DVI D adapter - PC

Are you sure your monitor doesn't have DVI input?
This is what Acer X193HQ should look like. Or may be you have a different model?
9407_5.jpg

This connection scheme simply can not work.
DVI-I to DVI-D cuts off analog video signal;
DVI-I to VGA can not pass analog signal to VGA, because it has been cut off previously;
VGA to VGA cable does not pass anything.

You have to use DVI-D to VGA active adapter. Like this one:
DVI2VGAE.main.jpg

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Your adapter will not work. The one SkyNetRising recommended (or one like it) will work.

Azamato

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

I guess mine is a different model because this is how it looks like..

5a6e6ece2f.png