Refreshing takes too long

Qasim_6

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
When i hit Refresh , it takes too long .Takes a long time for desktop icons to reappear when i Hit refresh. Everything else is working fine .
What could be the issue . Was working fine till this morning . I installed Asus Suit 3 . It didnt work so uninstalled it . After that its been happening .
Using Windows 10
Asus Z170-A
i5 6600k
16gb 3000MHZ

I changed my motherboard from Gigabyte to asus , And i think its overclocking Cpu to 4.2 GHz
Could that be an issue .

Solution
You had a gigabyte board prior. Now you have Asus. That's the issue generally, and why a fresh install of windows is recommended. You might not have installed any software as such, but there's things on your mobo like Sata controllers, USB controllers etc that are not windows driver based. This is where conflicts happen. Your old mobo had drivers for board components, you swap boards and now there's different drivers, both competing for usage. In other words, you are trying to use an ASMedia Sata driver on a Renasus Sata controller. Reinstall of windows erases any non-essential mobo drivers including from registry, so erases those conflicts.

That said, there's further conflicts that have to do with win10 itself. It has issues with some...
Some issues caused by failure to reinstall Windows after changing the motherboard won't always occur straight away, so saying it's been okay for a couple of weeks is irrelevant.

You must reinstall Windows, I mean, heck, the new motherboard isn't even the same make as the old one!

Don't post back until you've reinstalled Windows, then we can take it from there if issues still remain.

Qasim_6

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Windows 10 doesn't require a fresh installation after upgrading motherboard or any other hardware for that matter so that is not the issue. And Reinstalling the windows isnt an option anyway. I ll lose a lot of Data . And i know installing a fresh copy would solve this problem . But that isn't a solution , That is an escape plan & i need a solution .

Qasim_6

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

I tired that but it changes everything to Auto In Ai Tweaker and And Cpu is still overclocked . And You are most porbably right that is what happend .

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you remove any gigabyte software or drivers that were installed when you swapped motherboards?

Auto is the default in AI Tweaker - See page 2-27 of your Manual. You could set it to XMP if your memory supports it.

what CPU speed is showing on there and main page of advanced mode?

Qasim_6

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Nope i didn't . I didn't install any software for gigabyte . I installed Ai suite to see if i can reset the overclock from it . But it dint install properly ( Not supported on Windows 10 ) . So i tried to set everything to default in Bios . Which sets everything to Auto . Which i think by default overclocks it to 4.2 GHZ .
Which i don't think is a bad thing because i have a good cooler and temperature goes up to 55' max under load . But still i want to reset to make sure that this is not the cause of my current problem .
Because everything else is working fine . I've been working on Premier pro & logic pro and its working absolutely fine but this refresh thing is annoying me so much .

Qasim_6

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

Ssd , Health is 100 % , Temperature is a lil high 50-52 .
Tried clean boot didnt help .

Qasim_6

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017
Created a new User , and it has solved the problem apparently . Its working fine now in the new user . Have restarted to make sure a couple of times .
Still not sure whats the problem and why is it doing that .

Colif

Win 11 Master
SSD max temp is 90C so that isn't that warm. What brand is it?

Try booting in safe mode and see if its slow:
go to settings/update and security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now
this loads blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if its not slow, its a driver. I suspect i know which one too.

Try this 1st post and see if any AI suite is still around: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89547-How-to-uninstall-Ai-Suite-III-manually

Qasim_6

Prominent
Jun 22, 2017

SanDisk Z410
And just tried it in safe mood . the problem was in safe mood as well .

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You had a gigabyte board prior. Now you have Asus. That's the issue generally, and why a fresh install of windows is recommended. You might not have installed any software as such, but there's things on your mobo like Sata controllers, USB controllers etc that are not windows driver based. This is where conflicts happen. Your old mobo had drivers for board components, you swap boards and now there's different drivers, both competing for usage. In other words, you are trying to use an ASMedia Sata driver on a Renasus Sata controller. Reinstall of windows erases any non-essential mobo drivers including from registry, so erases those conflicts.

That said, there's further conflicts that have to do with win10 itself. It has issues with some drivers, date codes and legacy codes, basically win10 thinks it has newer driver versions and tries to use them first, regardless of whether they work or not. I'd start by going to Asus support and downloading all the latest mobo drivers, especially those for Lan and audio, as those will be patched for compatability with the new win10 updates.
Then do stuff for regular maintenance, malwarebytes, CCleaner (use the registry cleaner too as many programs, even windows updates, will leave orphans which can make a pc unstable) etc.

Solution