Are Iiiyama/AOC monitors good? - looking for 27" 144hz 1440p (no gsync)

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
I'm looking for a monitor for my build, the thing is that I'm already running on fumes here and my budget is stretched out. I know i want a 1440p 27" screen.

The thing is, i read about "screen tearing" and if i get it right, it happens only if GPU produces more frames than screen refresh rate is.

I can't afford a G-sync monitor (that supposedly eliminates screen tearing alltogether) so I decided to go for a 144Hz screen - GTX1080ti seems to be doing ~100FPS in most recent games on max settings so if I get it right screen tearing should be not an issue.

In that price range monitors like Illyama G-Master GB2760QSU-B1 Red Eagle or AOC AG271QX are available but there is a catch. They have TN panel and I've been told that in this size of screen you can actually start seeing colors fading out at edges (TN panels, narrow seeing angle etc.). When I'm sitting at my desk, my monitor is at 80-100cm away from my face. Do you think it would be issue?

Because of that i started looking at 75Hz IPS monitors but then i started thinking if screen tearing wont become visible if ill be running games at ~100FPS? Also i keep reading that IPS panels are plauged with backlight bleed and its generally lottery. I dont want that as ill be shopping online and any return will make me lose money on return shipping...

**So here I am, in need of advice, should i go 144Hz on TN (will the colours look bad? is AOC/Iiyama worth buying?) or 75Hz on IPS (will I see screen tearing with 1080ti and no g-sync in newest games?)?**

Also, my current monitor is LG 22M45 (TN, 60Hz, 21.5") and ive been using it with R9 390 - I'm no screen expert but the colours looked perfectly fine.

* Intended use: gaming
* Budget: ~560USD incl.23% tax (~2000PLN in my native currency)
* Ill be purchasing parts in Poland.
* My build uses EVGA GTX1080ti FTW3, i7-8700k, CL16 3200Mhz 2x8GB ram and SSD+HDD combo (OS on SDD, HDD for rest).

I'll be shopping in Poland, these two AOC and Iiyama cost around ~2000PLN which is ~560USD (incl.23% VAT). After that there is large gap in prices and next tier of monitors starts at ~695USD (Asus MG278Q. BenQ ZOWIE XL2730, Asus MG279Q, Dell S2716DG) and quickly steps up to ~835USD (Asus ROG PG278QR, Acer XB271HUAbmiprz, Samsung LC27HG70QQUXEN...). Cheapest 144Hz IPS are at 700USD incl.23% tax (~2500PLN in my native currency).

------------
edit. added more details and comparisions

Solution

Well let me tell you that a 27 inch tn panel is a bad idea you can actually start to see colors fading near the edges on the screen I've owned the benq xl 3270 for 2 days before returning it since the colors looked warped and this is a common occurance with those screens. Since you already have a 60 hz screen why not settle for a lower resfresh rate like 75hz and get an ips panel that won't have those problems?

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

Ive read a lot that IPS panels are like lottery with backlight bleed issues. Also would i experience lot of screen tearing with 1080ti and 75Hz monitor? If i got it right, screen tearing happens when GPU makes more frames than monitor refresh rate is and looking at benchmarks 1080ti pushes out ~100FPS or more in newest games.

also i updated my opening post to include more details

Turning on vsync will relieve that issue it will lock at 75hz and honestly unless you are a pro gamer you won't notice the difference between 144hz and 75hz.

Acer CB271HUbmidprx

Samsung C32H711Q

These are 2 monitors that are actually really good (the acer is the better one) and fit all of your needs except the 144hz part (both are 75 hz) no need to get the samsun with freesync since you can't use it anyways.

Solution