Just pgraded from Win7. How long does it remain activated?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I just upgraded a win7 pc to win10 using the MS Media Creation Tool. I did an upgrade rather than a clean install. All went perfect, and I noticed it says Win is activated. :) But... what happens after 30 days when the "old win" folder disappears, does the pc become un-activated again? Or did I just get a free upgrade?

Solution

The new Windows 10 key is stored in the cloud. This is called a "Digital Entitlement". When reinstalling the same version of Windows 10 on the same hardware it will check the cloud and reactivate automatically. Your old Windows 7 key is rendered invalid by the upgrade.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Really? Wow! I didn't know I could use the old Win7 product key for a future clean install. Are you pretty sure about that?

The new Windows 10 key is stored in the cloud. This is called a "Digital Entitlement". When reinstalling the same version of Windows 10 on the same hardware it will check the cloud and reactivate automatically. Your old Windows 7 key is rendered invalid by the upgrade.

Solution

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
This is great news. So I don't even have to use any product key if I do a clean install on this machine in the future? And I can use any Win10 installation media I might make in the future, I don't have to use the same one I just made?