BSOD after stability test No OC

carlosniemannick

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
I just bought a high end gaming rig. after the first three days i was getting blue screens(BSOD) The BSOD's mainly occur when playing Guild wars 2. To find out if it's my rig or the game(GW2) i ran some tests

tests:
Unigine Heaven - 30 minutes, extreme settings, all fine normal temps 60 degrees no artifacts
Intel diagnostic tool - my CPU got a pass
OCCT- test failed cpu core 2 warning test stopped
AIDA 64 whole system stress test - failed, temps all fine 60 degrees or below unexpected error, no cpu throttle
Windows CMD RAM test - RAM got a pass

Windows 10 Educate

This is my rig:
ASUS TUF Z270 MARK 2
Intel core i5 7600k
EVGA gtx 1080 SC
Corsair CX 550M
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz
Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA3/64MB/7200rpm
4 year old 128 GB SSD
2 Corsair case fans
Carbide Series 270R

I am a PC newb/student i don't know what to do. i payed huge money for my system. any advice about RMA? System tests, or what could be wrong? I also used who crashed to see the BSOD error codes link:
https://imgur.com/a/U7nt7

Everything runs on stock settings/speed

Solution
I would test one stick at a time (if you have 2) and see if you can isolate the problem to one stick or one slot.
otherwise I would return the memory and get one on the QVL. 70 euros will get your machine built but not much testing.

your other option would be to manually set the memory timings in bios. it is very common for slower memory to use 2T or 2n command rates while the faster RAM uses 1n or 1t command rates. it is one of the secondary memory timings, often hard to find in the specs. You can try and set it in the bios but every time you update the bios or clear it you have to set it again. it is often the 5th memory timing in the list something like this (most often the only timing with a T or N)
16-16-16-36 2T...
make sure you update any ssd firmware(if you have a ssd), your bios and sata drivers from the motherboard vendors website.

I would also turn off virtual memory memory, reboot and delete your hidden c:\pagefile.sys and turn virtual memory back on to create a new one.

after you update the bios run memtest86 to confirm your bios memory timings are set correctly.

because of the error codes we can not know if you have memory timing problems or if your problem is in your virtual memory system (pagefile.sys access)

you should also disable any overclocking drivers you might have installed while running windows.

carlosniemannick

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

Thanks much love for helping me with this!

What i did do:
Downloaded and flashed the Asus Bios update (now up to date version:1009)
Installed latest Asus Lan,Audio drivers
Installed assus software suite and Auto updated storage drivers
Checked my SSD firmware with OCZ utility software (up to date latest version 1.5)

Disabled virtual Memory, Reboot, could not find pagefile.sys (show hidden items enabled, Protect windows files disabled) I guess disabling virtual Memory deletes the pagefile.sys automatically?

Enabled Virtual Memory again, Now i could see the pagefile.sys

No overclocking drivers or utilities are running always used my system on stock settings (GPU comes factory over clocked)

What i am doing now:
Creating memtest 86 on my USB device and run the test aiming for a 10 hours

Much love for helping me again!

carlosniemannick

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Update: The Memtest86 lasted 1 hour and 8 minutes

And it found an error, I aborted the test

The whole system is only 4 days old what do these test results mean and what should i do RMA?

Here is the link with the Memtest error code:
https://imgur.com/a/6FseY

Overnight i will run Memtest longer and post results

check to see if the memory is on the supported list of memory modules for your board.
make sure you put the memory in the correct slots according to the motherboard manual
make sure you have selected the correct Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

if you have two modules, test one at a time with memtest86
check the bios settings against the actual memory chips tech specs.

sometimes a stick of ram will work in one slot but not another. motherboard slots closest to the cpu can have slightly faster timings.

sometimes new memory sticks fail. most people do not test them until there is a problem. Also make sure you use a good version of memtest86

carlosniemannick

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

15-10-2017 update

1- The Ram is not installed in the MOBO manual(Asus) recommended slots.
2- I could not find any settings to enable or change RAM to XMP profile in the bios
3- Looking at the qualified vendors list for my mobo i discovered my RAM is not on the list, the list begins with higher clocked RAM speed modules.
4- I used Memtest86 version 7.4 free, i encountered another error, again 1 error cannot link the imgage (imageur not working)

Links:
Asus qualified vendor list: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/TUF_Z270_MARK_2/TUF-Z270-Series_DRAM_QVL.pdf?_ga=2.141437621.600674503.1508008142-2075799524.1507655258

Is the wrong memory causing these issues?

I let the vendor build and select different parts of the system including RAM i payed 70 euros for the building procces,

I tried to swap the RAM sticks to the Asus recommended mobo slots only to find out the cpu cooler is placed just a few millimeters over the RAM sticks, i am afraid to remove the cooler since i am a newb builder.

What is the next logical step?

I would test one stick at a time (if you have 2) and see if you can isolate the problem to one stick or one slot.
otherwise I would return the memory and get one on the QVL. 70 euros will get your machine built but not much testing.

your other option would be to manually set the memory timings in bios. it is very common for slower memory to use 2T or 2n command rates while the faster RAM uses 1n or 1t command rates. it is one of the secondary memory timings, often hard to find in the specs. You can try and set it in the bios but every time you update the bios or clear it you have to set it again. it is often the 5th memory timing in the list something like this (most often the only timing with a T or N)
16-16-16-36 2T

Solution

carlosniemannick

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Verdict:

Brought it back to the store.

I had bad RAM. they tried to place new RAM of the same type Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2133Mhz The PC dit not even boot. afterwards they placed Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM

They tested and say the system now runs stable.

I think i had compatibility issues and bad ram

Only time will tell if this solves the problem. Thanks for the help!