Gray Screen of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwondercraftx

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hello. I recently got the Gray Screen of Death (Gray stripes/lines on my monitor and completely unable to control it or anything else except the POWER-button of the PC).

I have never had this before, I started my CS:GO game and ran it for like 10 minutes and this occured.

Now when I try to reboot the PC, it sure starts and I can see the boot screen and all but it seems to not be able to load the OS itself, the screen just goes blank.

What should I do?

Image of the GSOD https://ibb.co/jYeEGG

Specs can be found here, unable to copy them all since I'm typing from my phone: https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-cm-series-cm1855-fx-8120-monitor-none-series/specs/

Solution
Does graphics card appear in device manager in safe mode? does it have the right description? Or is it showing as an unknown device?

Could try booting win 10 into low res mode (its an option on the start up options screen.

you can try start up repair from the windows repair environment (the blue menu):
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

try uninstalling the radeon drivers for the AMD GPU in safe mode and restart and see if you get grey screen. IN theory win 10 should use its base drivers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

see if you can boot off USB, that may at least tell us if its a driver or hardware problem.

If it still does this then it is likely hardware. At this stage its likely to be your gpu, especially given the black screen you got.

If it boots the USB, try to get into safe mode:
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it gets into safe mode then the problem could be your drivers.

Better specs, at least it shows you do have a GPU: https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/CM1855/specifications/

xwondercraftx

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Thank you for the reply Colif.

So my PC can load the boot menu and access this Windows 10 built-in "fixer" which I've never seen before. There are multiple settings and features to try out such as entering the different safe-modes.

So I entered the safe-mode with my internet connecton enabled and fully on and it had no struggle on starting in the safe mode. No crashes no nothing, so this made me quite confused wether the problem is in the drivers or hardware.

So what should I now try out? I mean, the PC works in safe mode but if I just normally boot the PC it will never load the OS itself. Never experinced such a thing so therefore these questions may seem funny and unprofessional to you.

Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does graphics card appear in device manager in safe mode? does it have the right description? Or is it showing as an unknown device?

Could try booting win 10 into low res mode (its an option on the start up options screen.

you can try start up repair from the windows repair environment (the blue menu):
boot from installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

try uninstalling the radeon drivers for the AMD GPU in safe mode and restart and see if you get grey screen. IN theory win 10 should use its base drivers.

Solution

xwondercraftx

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Hmm, I'm currently trying to figure this out. So Windows 10 would start in the low-res mode but in any other safe-mode it did.

Now in safe mode with internet connected, I'm trying to view my graphics card. I'm seeing a list of devices with yellow excalation marks in front of a thing called "ASMedia USB Root Hub".

Now viewing my Radeon HD 7700 it shows it's unable to show it's current mode in safe-mode. Also the desc. Is just AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.

Now pressing "Driver info" of the Radeon HD 7700 it loads a while and shows the file version as unkown etc.

Windows reports that last update done to this driver was in 18th of May 2017.

Windows was not able to find and fix anything regarding the startup problem, but it gave me this log file: Windows (C:) > Windows > System32 > Logfiles > Srt > SrtTrail

The log is in my system language, Finnish but it says on the top of the log that there were two attempts on repairing the system. Every test it has performed show on the log an error code of 0x0 and an time delay mostly 0ms but on some from 16ms up to 1453ms.

I'll try uninstalling the drivers now and report of it then.

xwondercraftx

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

PS. Here is the list of all the available devices in Device Manager: https://ibb.co/myNc5m seems like the GPU is not on the list at least for me,
maybe you can see it better there wether it is or isn't on the list?

xwondercraftx

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017
Alright so I have no clue honestly what I did, because for the most parts I did not do anything which I believe would have any actual effect. But Windows booted up and now I'm in the regular mode which you use your PC in. I can play games, watch YouTube with working sound and all those goodies.

Thanks for the help, I would've never figured any of that stuff out by myself. Now I just wish it would not repeat itself again but if it does, then I at least have some clue of what to do. I know my system is quite old and I'm planning on upgrading it all, possibly even getting rid of AMD.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had to go to sleep before i could replay again. Many device drivers don't work in safe mode, I should have mentioned that... It seems you did find the GPU in device manager as I can see AMD Radeon 7700 series

It seems odd it happened 10 minutes into a game. You might want to back up everything on PC in case it happens again and you can't fix it. The problem with HD 7700 GPU is they use what AMD call legacy drivers and they have 1 set of drivers for every GPU prior to 7700 and they are not updating them.

Sometimes just booting into safe mode can fix errors like this.

see if this helps but all it does is fix windows itself:
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, DISM cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

xwondercraftx

Prominent
Oct 14, 2017

Hm yes I have never stumbled up on such an error so very odd indeed. And yeah the 7700 is quite problemtic and definitelly not the best of its kind. But at least it works now. Thanks for your help it's truly facinating to see that there are people available to help, It would've sucked if my PC had completely died because I have dead serious files and school stuff in there. I better backup them to cloud too (I have them on memory stick though)

Status
Not open for further replies.