Assistance Connecting 3 Monitors

Adamnizl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello,

I have read through this thread:

http://

However I am still unable to connect three monitors at the same time.

My graphics card, Radeon 6800 has in the back 2 DVI outputs, 1 Display Port output, and 1 HDMI output.

Watching this video helped me understand the situation I think:

http://

...and from what I can conclude, and am asking here, is that for all three to work do I need:

1. HDMI output ---> to HDMI input on monitor
2. DVI output ----> to HDMI Passive Adapter ---> to HDMI input on monitor
3. DP output ---> to HDMI Active Adapter ---> to HDMI input on monitor

Currently I do not have the Active Adapter and I am assuming that is what I need. I would like to know if that is correct before I purchase one.

Currently I have this arrangement and can only get a maximum of two monitors to work at the same time.

1. HDMI output ---> to HDMI input on monitor
2. DVI output ----> to HDMI Passive Adaptor ---> to HDMI input on monitor (I am assuming the adaptor here is Passive, it's just a little one inch female-male adaptor)
3. DP output ---> to HDMI Passive Adaptor ---> to HDMI input on monitor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details/Troubleshooting History

All monitors are Philips 216V6. All have been tested independently and work. All cables have been tested and work.
I have updated BIOS.
I have updated graphic card drivers.
Graphics card is AMD HD Radeon 6800.
I have Windows 10. It is up to date.

When the computer is restarted, the middle and right screen display the post screen/BIOS. Then when the login screen appears only the middle and left screen display picture.

When any monitor is connected, Windows makes that gentle beep/chirping noise.

All monitors appear in device manager.

When I go into AMD's Catalyst Controller, if I go to "Creating and Arranging Desktops," three monitor icons are there. Two of them have "1" and "2". If I right click the monitor without a number and select Extend, I get a message that says "To extend the desktop, a desktop or display must be disabled."

I hope I have provided enough details to help me figure this problem out.

Thank you.

Solution
3. DP output ---> to HDMI Active Adapter ---> to HDMI input on monitor

Correct. A dp passive adapter does not work in three monitor configuration with that graphics card.

Adamnizl

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Thank you. I will update this when I get the proper adapter.