so i got a question does it matter at all / any diffrent if you use 8x2 or 4x4 16gb ram at the same speed?

ataraxeygaming

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
so i was just wondering if i got new ram, and in the end there both the same price, same speed and everything, would there be any diffrince at all if i use 8x2 16gb or 4x4 16gb ram? A.K.A would there be any diffrent fps change if i used 8x2 16 gb over 4x4 16gb 1866 ram? just something i was wondering, cus im going to be getting new ram, and there both the same price either way if i go 4x4 or 8x2 and there all 1866 hrz but i thought it would be cool to fit all the ram slots inside my mobo instead of just 2 for looks, but idk if it would be any diffrence in gaming.

If your system is dual channel, plugging in 4 RAM sticks means that you will be running 2 sticks PER channel. This puts more stress in the memory controller. It is not detrimental though esp if your priority is looks rather than (OC) performance.

Negligible difference im FPS. But as I said, populating all RAM slots would mean running 2 sticks per channel, thus, stressing your MC more and possibly limiting your OC capabilities. It would look good though (aesthetically).

On the other hand, using just 2 sticks means you can run dual channel via 1 stick per channel. This increases your OC capabilities as it puts lesser stress on your MC. It may not look good to you personally due to the blank slots in between the RAM sticks.

So, it entirely depends on your priorities.

ataraxeygaming

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
so pretty much its the same thing unless i plan on overclocking it/ adding more later? i think i might get 4x4 then cus i have never over clocked memory, plus im getting an Open style case and i think with all ram slots taken would look cooler :} thanks for the help !