Rant - Matching Graphics Card and PSU

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
Not trying to be a dink, but I am shocked at the number of people who supposedly have 1080 Ti money, but not enough cash for a decent PSU...

So many posts about a shiny new graphics card running off some budget PSU and having issues. To me, if you plan to buy a beast card, you have to factor in a decent PSU. It is like saving up to buy a Corvette and not being able to afford premium gasoline or full coverage insurance.

Just my opinion... Maybe I am getting too old, next I will be shaking my fist at kids to get off my lawn.

Yes we see this every day, all day long 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

1. A lot of them watch too much YT and think they can get by with the garbage power supply shaped objects that some of them use. Lots of very bad info on YT, all most of them care about is views.

2. Some people are just cheap.

3. Some just don't know any better and think they can cheap out on a PSU because they don't know how important they really are so that is the 1st place they cut costs. (Stupid I know.)

And yes no matter what it is a real problem.

$600 or $700 Graphics card and hook it up to a $30 PSU....... Yeah....

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Definitely bugs me too. A PSU isn't sexy, but it's the beating heart of your PC.

USAFRet

Titan

See it ALL the time.
$2,000 in parts ($200 in fans and LED's)...."Oh, I forgot to budget for the OS. Where can I get one cheap?"
200 megabit ISP connection, $10 nano WiFi adapter, at the other end of the house.
And of course, the PSU issue.

LOL

Every time I see one I am like here we go again...

You forgot the $100 mouse, but buys a $25 PSU. ROFL

YT at work here 100% of it...... "But I saw this YT video"

drewski989

Reputable
Jul 28, 2016
Glad I am not the only one... PSU supplies the most vital/dangerous/variable input to everything in the PC, no place to cheap out, especially if you got $800 to drop on a graphics card.

Priorities man...

Cracking up at the "200 megabit ISP connection, $10 nano WiFi adapter", too funny.

A lot of the issue is these people watch YT videos and the YTbers have some garage PSU's on display and people think they are good.. Not even talking about the ones who put that garbage in PC's in the videos.

Saw one today.... Had both the EVGA B unit and Green Corsair CX unit.... Then used the Green CX unit.... And hooked a GTX 1070 to it.

Un freaking believable...