Factory Reset Gone Wrong

beejay1699

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
First off the problem started when the latest windows update automatically installed itself when i shut down my computer on 10/14. It gave me the option to update and shutdown so i went to bed after clicking it. The next day after work i boot it up to find a BSOD with clock watchdog timeout. Upon that i try many troubleshooting options on youtube such as system restore points and command prompts but ultimately leading to doing a factory reset. I wanted to do a full reset to make sure whatever was wrong was eliminated but 9% in the reset got stuck for hours so i tried to hold the power button and redo the reset. When my computer booted back up the OS was deleted and now when i try to re install the OS into my HDD or SSD it says its corrupted or missing. Is there anyway do a factory reset without the OS or a way for me to install the OS again?

TLDR: windows update caused BSOD, tried troubleshooting, ended up doing full factory reset which got stuck, tried to restart, no OS and cant reinstall OS

Solution
You'll need installation media - DVD or USB. Make sure your motherbaord will boot from USB. Otherwise, you'll have to acquire a DVD or burn one.

Assuming you want to install it on your SSD, disconnect the HDD and make sure the SSD is connected to the lowest numbered SATA port on your motherboard.

Enter the BIOS and set it to boot from your installation media. Reboot and it should run through the install. When it asks you to format the drive, do so and continue the installation.

You'll have to reapply all of the updates so this is going to take some time.

Once it's up and running with updates applied, power down, reconnect the HDD, and reboot. Format the HDD and restore your data from your latest backup. You'll have to reinstall all...
You'll need installation media - DVD or USB. Make sure your motherbaord will boot from USB. Otherwise, you'll have to acquire a DVD or burn one.

Assuming you want to install it on your SSD, disconnect the HDD and make sure the SSD is connected to the lowest numbered SATA port on your motherboard.

Enter the BIOS and set it to boot from your installation media. Reboot and it should run through the install. When it asks you to format the drive, do so and continue the installation.

You'll have to reapply all of the updates so this is going to take some time.

Once it's up and running with updates applied, power down, reconnect the HDD, and reboot. Format the HDD and restore your data from your latest backup. You'll have to reinstall all of your application software also.

Solution