DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION even after replacing hard drive

Aug 3, 2017
Hello! I have a PC running Windows 10 and it began to give me a BSOD with the error DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION. It did this multiple times and I didn't see any patterns. Eventually it would BSOD upon boot with the same error. Eventually, I had to do a fresh install of Windows 10 and the problem was still there. I read about the error having something to do with the hard drive so I replaced it with an 850 EVO but I am still getting the same error. Any ideas? Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its likely a software error

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
means some hardware did not respond within its timeout limit.

generally you need to change the memory dump type to kenrel, reboot and provide the file c:\windows\memory.dmp

ie copy the file to a cloud server like Microsoft onedrive, share the file for public access and post a link.

most likely fixes will be to update the motherboard bios and motherboard drivers.
sometimes you will have to update firmware on a ssd or some mice have firmware that has to be updated.
with some motherboard you have to run a update to update the firmware inside of a USB 3.x chip

it can be even something like the motherboard audio driver causing problem for the GPU audio driver that make the GPU respond too slow. (2 second timeout)

old network drivers can have bugs, that cause virus scanners to run slow, then a driver takes too long to respond and you get another timeout.

anyway, update the bios and motherboard drivers is always a good first attempt at a fix.
otherwise, the minidump but for this error you will most likely need to provide the kernel memory dump

I think the timeout on a hard drive is 30 seconds.
the timeout on a video is 2 seconds.
there are other timeouts for USB and two cpu cores talking to each other.