Lightning fried my Graphics card and I need some advice...

scnickity_schnoine

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
As said above, lightning fried my graphics card.
This is actually the second time this has happened which makes me feel extra stupid.

I bought a GTX 1060 on Jet when I built my computer and a month into me having it (I still stupidly hadn't put any surge suppression in place yet) a lightning strike took out my gpu. I was pissed but it was soon enough after buying it that I was able to just send it back to Jet.

I then found a good deal on a 1070 and since I had money in hand again, I went for it. 250hrs of modded Witcher and 150 hours of both RL and PUBG later, everything was still going smooth. I had bought this (https://goo.gl/zD4Ypy) surge suppressor immediately after the first incident and thought life was peachy.

Nope

Another lightning strike knocked out my 1070 two days ago. My surge suppressor seems to think everything is fine with its green "good to go" light on still, my computer has been working completely fine for two days now with onboard graphics, but my 1070 is KO'd. I saved hard for that thing and can't come close to replacing it on my own.

SO, couple questions

1: Who should I try and get money from and in what order? (NVidias probably the last step as Id basically be gambling on them realizing its from a surge which seems likely (although I don't see any obvious damage on the bottom of the card), the surge protector had insurance but I read the fine print and I'm pretty sure there is line in there saying they'll only give me back how much I paid for the protector, not "up to 25000" like the ad suggests (shoulda read that before), someone I know suggested trying my renters insurance policy, and the only other one I can think of is my landlord for a poorly wired house)

2: How do I make sure this doesn't happen again. Is a UPS really the way I have to go? Am I screwed anyway if my house has poor wiring? Obviously I need to dish out more money on surge protection but what is a good buy and what is just upcharging from manufacturers?

3: If I can't get reimbursed by anyone, and maybe even if I can but the process will take months, Im looking to get a cheap card that can run pubg on 1080 at manageable settings. Where might I find a good price on a card like an rx 550/460/560 or a gtx 750ti/480/660 (also there any other cards I should be looking at?). Are there any trustworthy places to pick up used cards? Ebay? Craigslist?

Thanks for your time!

scnickity_schnoine

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
from NVIDIA:

"WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY NOT COVER?
Any problems that do not relate specifically to a manufacturing defect or hardware product failure, including, but not limited to, problems caused by abuse, misuse, negligence, ACTS OF GOD (such as flood), misapplication of service by a party other than an authorized service representative, software, shipment damages, etc."

scnickity_schnoine

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Thank you very much for the recommendation. I figured my budget this time for surge protection would be closer to $60. and that is thankfully less. is there some next tier of surge protection I'd get from $60 bucks or should I stick with your recommendation?

I am sure there are better ones, but it seems to really jump after the $30 mark.

scnickity_schnoine

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Thanks again. You've been very helpful. While I have your ear can I ask one more question? On the topic of replacing my gpu, I may have found nice cheap one but my modular psu has only one 8pin available and the older card needs dual 6pin. is there just a splitter I can use for that or does that conversion present complications. I can't really find an adapter anywhere online.

What PSU do you have?

scnickity_schnoine

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Wait sorry I don't understand. I mean that one of those 6pins is powering my hdds so I only have one 6pin and one 8pin slot available in my psu. While the gpu would need two 6pin.

scnickity_schnoine

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Sorry I'm dumb haha. I just looked at it again and realized the pcie power cord I'm using is an8 pin to two 6+2s not just 8 to one 6+2. Problem solved. You've been immensely helpful, thank you.

I don't think you have the hooked up correctly...

The Blue 8pin on the PSU is for the PCIe.

The Cable should have 2x 6+2 connections on it and the 8pin side goes into the PSU (Blue).