Blank screen only bios accessible

taffey

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Hi all, over the last 5 days I have been given two laptops both ASUS to fix for family and friends. On both occasions the laptops both suddenly turned off and when booting back up there is just a blank screen, no windows logo nothing at all just straight to the bios page. I was wondering if it was the graphics driver but I have no way of checking it because I can’t get to anything. I did attach one hdd to my home computer and was able to access some files but by the looks of it not all of them, just documents, pictures and games. I scanned the hdd for errors and all ok. It shows as attached under computer management and healthy. I did get 5 virus’s off of one hdd and then put that hard drive in my laptop but the same thing happened again and only to the bios screen. I have used the install disk to do a system restore and it says I have to choose what operating system as it can’t find it. I did the cmd prompts to do a new boot thing but nothing. I only fix computers as a hobby and have limited knowledge so any help you guys can give would be awesome. Thanks!!

Solution
start with making sure both ac power bricks are fine. (good output and no broken cables). on the laptops make sure the power plug is not broken. if there moving then the system boards may be zapped. chec kthat the ram and any other cards are locked in. if there shutting down it can be power or temp. with laptops most time cpu or fans in the laptop may have gone bad. google asus model and fans or over heading issues also see if there any recall on bad system boards or caps.

taffey

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
I have also done the sfc/scannow and it won’t work because it says it will scan at next start up but that can’t happen because the screen is blank. And both systems are Windows 10.

start with making sure both ac power bricks are fine. (good output and no broken cables). on the laptops make sure the power plug is not broken. if there moving then the system boards may be zapped. chec kthat the ram and any other cards are locked in. if there shutting down it can be power or temp. with laptops most time cpu or fans in the laptop may have gone bad. google asus model and fans or over heading issues also see if there any recall on bad system boards or caps.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS