Deciding on what to do with my build ie CPU HELP

brumal123

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
i need some help guys mainly in picking a cpu to do my build justice i dont know much about computers. i play just about every type of game ie. moba, fps, rpg, racing ect i want my build to beable to handle these types of games with not a problem and maybe even be able to stream a little one day

should i go ryzen or the new intel route 300 is MAX i want to spend on a cpu

ps i was thinking about going ryzen at first so i have a b350 board already but i can still return it if necessary
let me know what to do because i dont know hah and i would like to not over clock

my build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MfdN8K

What monitor are you going to be using ??

If its not 144htz then the ryzen will do you plain & simple.

Your build list is generally fine but I'll nitpick anyway.

The h60 is a terrible buy $60 , it's nor a good performer , the stock fan is noisy , it's outperformed by a $35 tower cooler like the cryorig h7.

I wouldn't buy those Hitachi drives , they're old 2011/2012 models & a lot are refurbs with 2000 hour usage

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n2JwrH/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca300

The tosh is $10 more & is guaranteed new with a warranty.

These are good drives , I own 7 of them

Take a look at benches mate honestly.
The only gamesthe Intel 8400 really wins big in against the ryzen 1600 are farcry primal & GTA v, everywhere else its 10-15fps but we're already talking in the 120fps + range anyway.

The ryzen actually ekes out a fairly big win in bf1 multiplayer.

Streaming ? I'd expect ryzen to do a lot better in all honesty but there really havent been any practical streaming tests on the coffee lakes anywhere so that's just a guesstimate on my part.

brumal123

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
so would yo go with the 1600 over the 1700 ? and i ahve looked at the benches just dont really know what im looking at lol

I own the 1700 myself because I got a good deal on it the week before the ryzen 5's dropped

In retrospect the ryzen 1600 would have done everything I needed in all honesty.
The 8c/16t ryzens are simply unnecessary for maybe 95%+ of home PC owners.

I'm using the R7 1700, but only because the extra cores/threads are more than handy for rendering, gaming wise the cheaper R5 1600 can beat my CPU 'out of the box' so also agree with Madmatt30: For a purely gaming or even gaming/streaming build the R5 1600 is better value.
Be aware that if you're playing on, or intend to upgrade to, a 1080 144Hz ( or faster ;) ) display, an Intel build will usually give higher performance, at higher resolutions the differences are marginal.