Serious dilemma choosing a monitor

Skream86

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Hi Guys,

I am driving myself nuts trying to choose a new monitor. Between the panels, refresh rates, sizes and obviously price I am really struggling. Hopefully someone can provide some insight based on the background info I give.

I currently have a 2k LG Ultrawide 25UM58-P IPS monitor. I came from a 22 inch 16:9 monitor. The reason I want to change is currently I find the Ultrawide too smalll. I mainly play league of legendsn 2nd comes FPS games like Battlefield COD CSGO then GTA, Watch Dogs (singe player games) etc etc.

I have a 980ti HOF and if I go back to 1080p I feel it'd be a bit pointless to buy a screen with a 60hz refresh rate as the card would be a waste. I do live in South Africa so prices are hugely inflated here but I'll list screens that are all priced the same.

A 2k monitor with a high refresh is just way too expensive and i don't really think my card is strong enough to make use of such a screen. I am worried that if i get a 144hz 24inch i'll be disappointed with the size. Would a higher refresh rate monitor be a better experience opposed to a prettier 27inch 60hz monitor with a higher respone rate. Screens I have been looking at are; ASUS VG248QE, Dell SE2717/6H (curved screens look quite interesting) , LG24GM79G-B, Viewsonic VX2757 these are all about $400-$500. Perhaps there is a median someone could suggest I haven't seen.

When reading up about various panel types, refresh rates etc. Opinions are very strong but how noticeable is this all in real life. I really appreciate all advice.

Solution
1. I wouldn't consider your monitor 2k even if it may "technically" be correct. It's 1080p ultrawide. 2k typically is a vertical resolution of 1440p.

2. I wouldn't worry about monitor types to much. I crappy IPS panel will look far worse then decent TN. But considering your play league and are looking for high fps play your panel will likely be a TN panel.

3. Of the choices you've shown I'd go with the Asus.

I'd stop looking for a while. Save that money and then save some more. You're already at 25", IPS and ummmm what's 2K? 1920 or 2560? Yes, the higher end monitors will be a lot more expensive. Why make a small step from 25 to 27" or go backwards from 25 to 24"?

I see those monitors and I see less than $300 on those pages but than you say 4-500.

Higher refresh rate? Do you play a lot of racing and flight sims? Good choice. Action and FPS? Not really. SHort answer? No to a higher refresh rate 24".

Get the best of both worlds. 27" and a higher refresh rate(144Hz). Toss in 1ms response time for your FPS games and 1440p for nice visuals. That's about $100 more than most expensive suggestion you gave. If you saved $300 then what about $100 more?

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9B-24-009-769

Can your PC handle that much monitor? Idk.

Skream86

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
They are very expensive as I live in South Africa, so all electronics are imported and heavily influenced by the exchange rate. Sorry, when I say 2k I mean 2560 resolution. I want to change back to 16:9 because this Ultrawide 21:9, while it's a nice experience for a change, is shorter than a 24' monitor.

I don't really play racing games at all to be honest. That monitor you listed is $700 in my country sadly. What are your thoughts on a 27inch with a 75hz refresh rate and 2ms response time?

1. I wouldn't consider your monitor 2k even if it may "technically" be correct. It's 1080p ultrawide. 2k typically is a vertical resolution of 1440p.

2. I wouldn't worry about monitor types to much. I crappy IPS panel will look far worse then decent TN. But considering your play league and are looking for high fps play your panel will likely be a TN panel.

3. Of the choices you've shown I'd go with the Asus.

Solution

Skream86

Honorable
Dec 24, 2013
Seems to be a terrible habit I have picked up. So the current is actually a 1440p monitor.

Thank you for the Asus suggestion, any particular reason you prefer this over the Viewsonic?