Nvidia gpu w/ freesync VS AMD gpu w/freesync

vikingdave

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
I'm in the market for a gpu and a monitor for my new higher end gaming rig. I play a good mix of game types. I refuse to pay the premium for a g sync monitor, which leaves me buying a freesync monitor regardless of my gpu. Monitor will probably 1440p, IPS, debating the refresh rate.

I had planned to get a gtx 1080, but should I switch to an AMD gpu in order to take advantage of freesync or am I better off with my Nvidia card and no adaptive sync?

Solution
You don't have to buy either Freesync or G-Sync, there are cheaper options that do not have either. AMD has screwed its customers, there are lots of lovely Freesync monitors out there but the last 2 generations of gpu have been really too weak for many of them. As already stated AMD don't have a 1080 or 1080Ti equivalent.

Gaidax

Distinguished
I believe Nvidia and Gsync is better in the long run even if it costs a bit more. AMD really fell flat on their face this time around and they don't really have any viable/cost-effective solution at 1080 level at the moment.

SHOTGUNJEN

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I have this similar issue but i aready own a 1070 and recently brought a FreeSync monitor, because as you stated Gsync monitors are too pricey right now. I'd go for the 1080 and stick with a FreeSync monitor, then maybe upgrade your monitor to one that has Gsync in the future for when they become more reasonably priced.
I would choose Nvidia card over FreeSync.
Also FreeSync will only be useful ever so slightly if you tend to dip below your monitors refreash rate, in think with a 1080 you should be fine.

You don't have to buy either Freesync or G-Sync, there are cheaper options that do not have either. AMD has screwed its customers, there are lots of lovely Freesync monitors out there but the last 2 generations of gpu have been really too weak for many of them. As already stated AMD don't have a 1080 or 1080Ti equivalent.

Solution