Thoughts on MSI GTX 760 Reference card?

lemonbek

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
Hi to all on the forums,

This is my first post here on the forums so I apologize if I have posted incorrectly.

I'm looking to purchase an MSI GTX 760 reference card just like this one : https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-OC-DisplayPort-PCI-Express/dp/B00DIH8OUK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508354946&sr=8-4&keywords=msi+gtx+760

I have read some reviews on it and its rather concerning to hear from 2 or 3 reviewers out of about 17 total reviews on Amazon that the card has died about 2 or so years after purchase. I'm looking to buy it now 2 and half years after its release and I'm curious if anyone has experienced card failures with this card? I have also noticed that the card seems to run rather warm, but I have a well-ventilated and cooled case by means of fans so that shouldn't be too much of a concern.

Only reason I am set on getting this card is due to the fact that I'm getting it really cheaply.

Any replies are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

If it's a reference card then it won't have upgraded cooling, which is why it might run hotter, which is why it might not last as long. The thing about buying any used videocard is there's no way to tell what kind of use it has had. Someone may have run it 24/7 at full load every day or someone may never have even gamed on it. So no one can really guarantee 'this card will last' or 'this card won't last'.

My metric on buy or not buy? How much is this card going to cost you? Can you get something better at or below this price? If not, buy the card.

lemonbek

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. It’s basically costing me about 35-40$. I completely agree with your statement that no one can be sure of usage, but I do believe it hasn’t really experienced all that much load. It’s been sitting on a shelf for the last 10 or so months so at max it could’ve only been used for a year. Looks like I’ll be buying the card!