Windows Creator Fall Update (1709) Causes STEAM apps/games not to open

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
As the title states, after 1709 updated (as I do not have Win10 Pro to pick-n-choose) STEAM games/apps will not open.

I did some searching and found the X-Box game recording bit but does nothing for non-Windows/X-Box programs and titles, at least on my system it doesn't. So, I rolled back to the previous version of Windows as 1709 only installed yesterday and for what it's worth, set my internet connection to "metered" in the hopes that 1709 will bypass me... Doubtful.

Any suggestions beyond what I've done, for a real-fix, or is this just one of a myriad of issues that comes with these wonderfully pushed updates?

Thanks!

Solution
**SOLUTION** DSR modes enabled in NV Control Panel seem to be the culprit here AFTER 1709 installed...

I disabled the DSR mode(s), then applied the change so it would save it. Then went back into the NV Control Panel and re-checked the applicable DSR modes that I use and hit APPLY, so they would save.

I went back into STEAM after doing this and ALL of my titles opened normally and continue to do so.

Case Closed. Moderator(s) are welcome to close/archive this post at your leisure. Thanks in advance!

slàinte mhath!

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013
**SOLUTION** DSR modes enabled in NV Control Panel seem to be the culprit here AFTER 1709 installed...

I disabled the DSR mode(s), then applied the change so it would save it. Then went back into the NV Control Panel and re-checked the applicable DSR modes that I use and hit APPLY, so they would save.

I went back into STEAM after doing this and ALL of my titles opened normally and continue to do so.

Case Closed. Moderator(s) are welcome to close/archive this post at your leisure. Thanks in advance!

slàinte mhath!

Solution

tehjgroves

Prominent
Oct 30, 2017

I'm having the same problem with 1709. I go to launch my game (Rocket League) from within Steam and it pops up with the "launching game" box and then steam crashes and nothing opens. I've checked my Nvidia Control Panel DSR settings and both the DSR - Factors and DSR - Smoothness are turned to off. Is this what you disabled? Any other suggestions on a fix?

Sam Hain

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

First step is to ensure STEAM is closed, then I went into the NV control panel and disabled ALL Factors for DSR completely and hit APPLY. Then I closed NV control panel and then opened it again and went back to the DSR setting and enabled ALL Factors and hit APPLY. I did not touch Smoothness... I leave mine set at 33%.

Once I did the above, I opened STEAM and all of my games/titles worked again.

I use DSR, but as you are not from what I gather... The only other item to look at is in STEAM, go to SETTINGS, then scroll down and click on DOWNLOADS. Click on CLEAR DOWNLOAD CACHE.

I believe once you do this, STEAM may require you to log back in. This step may fix your issue... Hope this helps. If not, you might need to try putting a help-ticket in over in the STEAM CoMMUNITY, STEAM FORUMS, "Help and Tips".

Good Luck!!