PSU making hissing sound

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
My power supply makes a hissing noise for a second or 2 then stops, Its at random, and it hasn't happened at heavy load(or at least I didn't hear it) It mostly happens when just web browsing. One of the fans is barely spinning...maybe its dirty and need to be blown out with some compressed air?

PSU is NZXT Performance Power PP800 800W https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817116007&recaptcha=pass

I had this one for maybe 5+ years... think I got it with my case as a combo

D

Deleted member 217926

Good idea to start thinking about replacing it. It's a lower end unit as is, it's getting old and it sounds like the fans are failing.

If you list your complete system specs and budget we can find you a good deal on a new one you won't have to worry about.

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
Damn kinda knew I needed to get a new power supply

If you guys can help me pick a new one that would be great...Im not looking to sink much money in to this PC just want it to last couple more years, only think i want to add to it is a SSD drive

My Specs

CPU: i7 920 2.66Ghz
MOBO: ASUS P6T SE
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8GB 1866MHz DDR3
VIDEO CARD: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW+ 4GB
HDD: 320gb 7200rpm
AUDIO: ASUS Xonar DGX 2.1

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep. Not a great unit but it's as good as the CX he linked above. For the listed system it's fine.

When I read the topic I thought your PSU came from India or something since there's a large amount of snakes in India I thought maybe one of them might have gotten inside your PSU before they shipped it out. Hehe.. just passing by xD

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
So my system only needs 550 watt? Wouldn't be safer to have more? Like 750watt? Or that would be too much?

koperan

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
On evga site is says that 500watt 30amp is required for my GPU .... Sorry for all the question I just have no idea about about power supplies

D

Deleted member 217926

That's the old group regulated CX550M not the refreshed DC to DC version. It's similar in quality to that EVGA.

550w is more than enough for the listed system.

D

Deleted member 217926

Sorry for the confusion koperan. That Corsair is a better unit than the EVGA. :)

The part about 550w being sufficient is correct.

Excellent Find: You better off getting the 650w for an extra $5 just in case you plan to upgrade your GPU later on. Also semi-modular will look better than no modular at all. Impeccable timing since it's Best Buy you may be able to pick it up same day. In any case, you want to get that replaced ASAP because..

You wouldn't want something like this happening to you:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ezk9OA7aKOE"][/video]

Heh this perfect Corsair product placement advertisement to new Corsair customer xD