Boot device not found

stegee9

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
On power up I get a black screen saying no boot device found.

I checked the bios to make sure my Ssd with windows 10 on it was selected as primary and it still is.

How should I go about troubleshooting this? I do not have an installation disc or external backup unfortunately.

Thanks

Solution
those three are the ones i was talking about, try setting them to uefi and if it doesn't work don't forget to change them back. start with storage seeing it doesn't find a boot disk.

maestripieritimo

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Go to bios, find the boot menu or boot tab, find something like boot mode and check if it is uefi or legacy, change it and reboot, problem still there go back put back on old setting.
if you put in your mobo type i can give a better guide where to go.
Other specs of your system might help to.

stegee9

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
i looked all over the tabs and options in the bios but did not see anything for a boot mode.

Only place I see anything about legacy is under the CSM option in the boot tab. With CSM enabled there are three options below it

"Launch PXE OpROM policy"
"Launch Storage OpROM policy"
"Launch Video OpROM policy"

All of which have "legacy only" selected

Not sure if any of that means anything worth saying in the first place though I figured it can't hurt

I saw elsewhere that disabling CSM might fix it but when done so a reboot takes me straight to the bios screen without pressing f11

Mother board is fatal1ty z87, Cpu is i5-4670, gpu is gtx 760

Thanks for the help

stegee9

Prominent
Oct 18, 2017
After looking over things again I've had it wrong from the beginning, I apologize.

My SSD with windows 10 is not showing up under primary boot device or the drop down menu. I was confused with the DVD drive.... opps. Tried plugging it in with different sata cables as well as power cables to no avail.

I assume it's dead?

maestripieritimo

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
those three are the ones i was talking about, try setting them to uefi and if it doesn't work don't forget to change them back. start with storage seeing it doesn't find a boot disk.

Solution