old hardware supported for how long?

jftasse

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017
My question is: I have an i7 4770 cpu and asus H97M-E/CSM motherboard; how do I know for how long my hardware will be supported by windows 10, or is it really an issue to worry about?

If I read right, some intel cpu (netbook if i remember) where declared obsolete and was no longer supported by Win10 after a 1 or 1½ year after they installed the modern OS.

I have search with every possible word I can with google and on the forum(here) but nothing seem to come up with an exact answer to that.

Thanks

Solution
The CPU you are referencing is an ultra low-end CPU that Intel farmed out to a 3rd party for its GPU function. It was the GPU part that wasn't compatible anymore because the company that designed it is dead and Intel refused to spend any money to fix the drivers for it itself.

In short it was an anomaly caused by Intel being really cheap with particular CPU model and not the beginning of a trend.

I'll give you an example I'm using an i3-550 with Windows 10 right now. A 7 years old CPU. Works perfectly.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Technically, Haswell chips are "End of Life" as per Intel, right now.

That being said, I don't envisage any issues with support for years to come yet.

Driver updates from ASUS for the motherboard would be where 'support' would likely "stop" first.... but, realistically, how often are motherboard drivers actually updated anyway? Windows handles some of the incremental updates now...... and driver support is likely to be around for Haswell for years yet.

In perspective, the 4770 launched in Q2 2013......
A chip like a C2Q Q8200 launched in Q2 2008 (almost 10 years ago) and only has a few 'issues', depending on the chipset used. It might not be the smoothest experience in 2017-18, but it just "works"

The CPU you are referencing is an ultra low-end CPU that Intel farmed out to a 3rd party for its GPU function. It was the GPU part that wasn't compatible anymore because the company that designed it is dead and Intel refused to spend any money to fix the drivers for it itself.

In short it was an anomaly caused by Intel being really cheap with particular CPU model and not the beginning of a trend.

I'll give you an example I'm using an i3-550 with Windows 10 right now. A 7 years old CPU. Works perfectly.

Solution

jftasse

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017
Yes I did try running win10 and it worked very well, but it was the long term view that was not clear, windows 7 is coming to an end very soon so...

Thanks guy's, that is answering all of my questions and worries.

jftasse

Reputable
Oct 19, 2017

Thank you very much, that makes it even more clear :)