Windows Update 1709 Fall Creators Update=FAIL

moosedoctor

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Every major update causes hours of annoying uninstall/reinstall and most likely ends in a fresh install W10.

This one is different.

When I shut down I can't turn the computer back on. The power switch does not respond. I have to turn off/on the PSU, and then the power button works and I can boot my system. What the hell Microsoft. Why.

It works fine under Ubuntu and pre-update backups of W10. I have an Asus Pro Gaming/Aura 970 motherboard. I have reset everything to stock. No dice. FIX THIS!

Solution
Hello moosedoctor

If the Power button fails to respond even after shutting down the PC for 30 seconds or more, please check if the BIOS needs an update.

Feel free to report back for further assistance.

Cheers!!

Astralv

Distinguished
This is strange. My computer would not shut down (have another thread for that- just showing support). I suspect there are button assignments settings somewhere that have to be checked. I dont remember where they are- this is what I want to check.

moosedoctor

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Thank you for your response. BIOS is up to date. I have the latest one from July.

Why is it only happening when Windows 1709 shuts it down? It works fine on older builds and linux. I can't keep reinstalling Windows every freaking time they roll out an update. I have over a terabyte of programs to reinstall every time I do this.

moosedoctor

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Hey thanks. Actually there is no button assignment settings to be checked. They all connect to very specific pins on the motherboard where each one is specifically noted; power, reset, hdd lights etc. You can set the power button to hibernate, sleep or power down in power settings in Windows. Mine is set to shut down.

Todd Jumper

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015

What if your power supply does not have an on or off switch. I think I had this happen to my last computer, still bricked in my kitchen directly after a windows Creator update, will no longer turn back on, even after replacing with a new power supply.