Computer would not shut down after Fall Creators update

Astralv

Distinguished
Hey there

I installed fall Creators Update, and now my computer would not shut down. I use Shut Down by right click on Start menu, click in Shut Down, looks like it is about to shut down, and then it comes back to Log In screen.

I had issue with my power button- my computer was starting by Static- if I touch it with my hand without discharging, but that is all another story- it did NOT have problem to shut down. Looks like it Logs me out instead of shutting down or something else- the Power Button never goes dark, it stays on, just logs me out. How do I check my buttons assignment- I remember there used to be options like "What Windows will do when press Power button" settings and so on. Any other suggestions? It is 2 am, I have to get up in 4 hours and it would not shut down. And the Sleep also not working. This computer set to Sleep- Never, but I should be able to put it to sleep using Sleep option, right? It does the same thing- it just logs out and goes almost instantly to log in screen. I had FastBoot disabled in BIOS. Thank you.

Solution
right click start button
choose power options
this opens the settings screen, under a heading on right that says Related settings, click Additional power settings
on the control panel screen that pops up, click choose what the power button does
if you want to change settings for Turn on fast startup, Sleep or Lock, click change settings that are currently unavailable to stop them being greyed out.

turning off fast startup might make PC shutdown

I noticed after I updated PC that my 1st initial shutdown took way longer than normal but last night it was fine. Startup seems faster now too.

Astralv

Distinguished
Hello again. I had latest BIOS and all drivers installed, unless they released new in last month. I had the whole thread about the static/electrical, the case manufacturer (BeQuiet) says- it is not dangerous, but that is all another issue. That problem was mild, only happen if I touch it without discharging my hands. This is NEW behavior, totally different- not wiring. It just does not go sleep or shut down. It does restarts properly. Before update it had no problem with shutting down. Now it just goes dark screen for few seconds, but not even full dark screen- there still some black light from the screen and then it returns to Windows LogIn screen. I need to check buttons setting- do you know where it is? Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start button
choose power options
this opens the settings screen, under a heading on right that says Related settings, click Additional power settings
on the control panel screen that pops up, click choose what the power button does
if you want to change settings for Turn on fast startup, Sleep or Lock, click change settings that are currently unavailable to stop them being greyed out.

turning off fast startup might make PC shutdown

I noticed after I updated PC that my 1st initial shutdown took way longer than normal but last night it was fine. Startup seems faster now too.

Solution

Astralv

Distinguished

Thank you. I am at work now, will have to try it tonight. I had to press and hold power button to shut it down. Just single short power button press made it do the same thing- go to Log In screen, but as I held it, it finally shut down. Will test it tonight, thanks.

Astralv

Distinguished
I lost the Internet when it was downloading Creators update (surprise!) so it set there at 65% for a while but then continued when internet returned, so I would not think it is what caused it... This computer set to Sleep Never, but it had no issues to shut down. It had issue to start and being on when I did not think it is on, but I dont think it related. One is hardware. Will test tonight.

Astralv

Distinguished
Ok, it shuts down now. Thank you for posting detailed "step by step", it was very helpful. The "Fast Startup" was enabled. I know for the fact that I disabled fast Startup option in BIOS. I used to have it enabled, and I did not realize it was, so I actually took my time to disable it. Looks like this is some kind of new element of Windows that enables it? Also it was malfunctioning because it was signing not shutting down at all. So now it does. Thank you.

As of it starting on its own- here is my thread. I selected Best Answer because I had only one person replying and the thread was not going anywhere. Could you, may be, look over it and see if you have any thoughts? It still turns on when I touch it, looks like by Static, also it only happens first time- it does not happen if it worked for a while and then was shut down- it has to be cold for this to happen. If I discharge my hands, it does not happen. Thank you. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3506985/build-turns-touching-front-case.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
fast startup in bios is different to fast startup in windows. In bios, it skips all USB devices except KB/Mouse at boot. In windows, it is an entirely different beast

Fast startup in windows uses hybrid hibernate to put PC to "sleep" when you shut it down. Instead of being off, half your open files are stored in ram, other half in page file. This is why its called fast startup, as its much faster to load info from ram than hdd. IT can mess with drivers not built to cope with it though.

I am no electrician so i would do as he suggested and get someone who is to look at PC and or house

Astralv

Distinguished
Thank you. I will get to it some time, I hope.

Today I started computer and my Start button did not work- it would not open. It would work for right click but not for left click with all the programs. The Edge was loading with white page every other time. Several restarts did not solve it, but then I shut down and restarted and now it working. I should of learn to never update Windows on Day 1, but I cant wait and worry what will happen when I update. To me it is better to update and face the consequences than wait, install more software and then have everything failed. But Microsoft needs to get it together. I been through a lot with this computer in last 9 months sibce I built it. I have people asking me if they should build or use Windows and I can not say- it been great experience. Thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished

I dont know what you mean by Look at it. You cant look at the wiring at the button, it is not visible, and it is not made to be taken apart. Also it does not turn itself on, it turns on if I touch it and only first time when I have a change in my hand. It is static. If I touch farther from the button, close to USB drives, the USB stick led light lights up for a second, if it close to the button, the power button gets ignited. But if I discharge my hand, I can touch and touch and hold and nothing happens. It only works with static. So who would tell me anything if even BeQuiet never heard of it?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I mean examine the problem. I would guess something isn't grounded in the case as it sounds very unusual so it might be a screw in the case shorting something else out. As I said, I am not electrician. I will get someone else to look at it