Windows 10 freezes after installing updates

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
Hi,
I've had a problem with my Windows 10 PC (License from a free W7 upgrade, but the actual install in question was a fresh copy of W10) for some time now, in that installing any version of W10 newer than the v1511 November Update causes it to hang at the startup screen (blue Win logo + spinning dots) until power is shut off.

At the time I couldn't figure out a fix, and it would keep trying to install the v1607 update each day, rendering it useless, so I just ran it offline and used my laptop for internet, but this is getting annoying and I'd like to at least attempt to get it fixed.

The system specs are:

• ■ CPU: Intel Xeon E5450 (using S771 pin mod)
    ■ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R (Running latest F12 BIOS)
    ■ GPU: Nvidia GTX 570
    ■ 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-800 RAM
    ■ Corsair TX650 PSU
    ■ tried with both 64GB SSD and Seagate 7200RPM HDD

What I tried:

• Installing a fresh copy of Windows 10 on a spare drive to rule out a corrupt OS: [/*]

• ■ Installing using the v1511 USB installs fine, boots up fine, then downloads updates, reboots and hangs.[/*]
      ■ Installing using the v1703 Creators Update USB gets to the end of the install fine, but then freezes on first boot.[/*]

Installing a fresh copy of Windows 7, then upgrading that to Windows 10:[/*]

• ■ Using v1511 upgrades fine, then Windows updates itself, reboots and hangs[/*]
      ■ Using v1703 upgrades successfully and then hangs on first boot[/*]

Trying Windows 10 USB in laptop installs, updates and boots fine, so not damaged install media[/*]

Replacing Xeon with original Core 2 Quad Q6600, in case the modded CPU was causing problems, and repeated above steps:[/*]

• W10 fresh install:[/*]

• ■ Using v1511 USB installs fine, boots up fine, then downloads updates, reboots and hangs. [/*]
        ■ Using v1703 gets to the end of the install fine, but then froze on first boot.[/*]

W7 upgrade:[/*]

• ■ v1511 did the same thing, upgraded fine, then Windows updated itself and froze.[/*]
        ■ v1703 would not even install in this configuration, claiming "this PC can't run Windows 10"[/*]

Is there any chance of me actually getting this to work at all? Or should I just give up on it?
Thanks for any advice

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Have you tried rolling back the bios the last WHQL certified one? My old system, which is now my wifes, uses the same mobo with an E-8400 oc'd, a GTX 650ti and it too was the win 7 with the free upgrade to 10 and all the updates are installed and it works fine.
Never ever updated the bios....because it worked flawlessly!

if the mb has onboard video see if it locks up without the gpu in it. if it fine see how the priamny and muilt monitors set ups are in the bios and any irq or memory ranges. on a lot of mb the vidoe slot and pci next to it share the same irq. if you have a sound card or wifi card they may be hangging the mb trying to use the same irq.

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. The BIOS isn't WHQL certified?

It's a P45 board so no onboard video. The only thing in any of the expansion slots is the GPU (in the only PCIe x16 slot. There are also 3xPCIe x1 and 3xPCI slots, but they are unused). I can try it using my old Radeon 6870 and report back on what happens

EDIT: Okay, I've tried using several other GPUs - the aforementioned Radeon HD 6870, a Radeon HD 6450, an HD 7950, a 9600GT and a GTX 680. The problem persists across all of them.

This problem occurs because of a fundamental incompatibility between the PC hardware and the latest release of Windows 10. Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R is a year 2008 model.

Microsoft states:

Updates may include new features, fixes (security and/or non-security), or a combination of both. Not all features in an update will work on all devices. A device may not be able to receive updates if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer's ("OEM") support period.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-blocks-windows-10-creators-update-on-some-pcs/

Mightyena

Honorable
Oct 21, 2014
Update for those interested. Apparently disabling CPU virtualisation allowed it to boot successfully. Interestingly enough though, after the first boot, I can re-enable virtualisation with no ill effects... It just must be off for the first boot.

Now running version 1703 (so far Windows update hasn't realised 1709 exists yet), and its a bit of a mixed bag really. Feature wise it's pretty good, and I'm glad they brought back the ability to disable the pointless lock screen again, but performance is not good. Although it sorts itself out once I open a program, and I get pretty much the same performance in programs and games as before the upgrade, it spends almost all of its idle time thrashing the disk, and the boot time has literally doubled.

Before the boot process would be:

• ■ Black screen with blue Win logo and white spinning dots - ~1min
    ■ login screen
    ■ wait at the desktop for the HDD to catch up for about 30 seconds

Now, it's

• ■ Black screen with blue Win logo and white spinning dots - ~1min
    ■ Black screen with white spinning dots - ~1min
    ■ Black screen - ~20sec
    ■ "Please Wait" with spinning dots - ~30sec
    ■ login screen
    ■ wait at the desktop for the HDD to catch up for about 2 minutes

I'm going to try a fresh install and see if its any happier, but this upgrade business is definitely not the seamless, user-friendly experience it was promised to be... :fou:

TRENDING THREADS