Connecting a usb thermal printer on the network directly

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
your router should have a usb plug for this. else you went cheap? i mean there are some £30 routers that can do this, so i really dont know how/why yours cannot.

yes that looks like a usb to rj45 converter, that would do the job.

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Indeed, it has but it is not for me, it is for a restaurant owner and i have to check his router usb ports and the router distance. What if the router is 10 meters away from the kitchen and the ethernet port is in the kitchen?

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

It is not for a POS System. It is a functionality for a website, when clients pay for an order it will be automatically printed to the thermal using Google cloud print API

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Alright thank you, i will see if the router does not have a usb port i will definitely go for the server print as linked in my question. Does the converter need any drivers to work?

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Look here, 15 pounds TP Link router.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
nice, you have many options now. the link router which would basically be a super lan box from your original post (as the link would also be a wifi router).

or probably the better option: just use the lan box from youre op.

remember you can have a maximum rj45 length cable to run to the box, then the usb to the printer, which would be better as the box can be safely placed out of the way.
the link router is larger and so the options for placement would be limited, but has outs (more network rj45 plugs as well as wifi) so that in future you dont have to worry about requests for a wired kitchen terminal.

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Ok. If i connect it with usb on the modem then i can be able to find it on the network right? But firstly i will need to install the drivers

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
you should directly connect the printer to a pc first. enter its web based setup menu (found by reading your manual), and configure its ip address to match the intranet you want to use it with. ensure ip address does not conflict with another device.

then it should pretty much be plug and play from that point. - you might need to set it as default network printer from your server (or whatever host pc deals with your forms/printing).

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
So let's clarify the steps. Let me know if i am wrong:

1) Connect printer on the pc and install the drivers
2) unplug the printer from the pc and connect it on the modem
3) Connect that printer to google Cloud print service

Then i want that specific Printer not to be accessed by anyone with internet access but only from the google cloud print.

If the printer and POS system will connect to same WiFi network, you should not need Google Print Services anyway. Since that print server does not seem to support Google Print directly, you'll need a PC in the same network configured for that printer anyway.

BTW - same printer is avaialbe in popular US online sites, too.

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

As, i said, it is for a website functionality so i will need to connect it on google Cloud print service. Well Google not only supports cloud ready printers, you can also add a printer that is not cloud ready. What if i connect the printer directly on the modem usb? Note that i don't want this for a pos system, it has to be connected on the google cloud print service somehow. So no need of having a pc 24/7 open

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
step 1. connect printer to pc
step 2. install drivers
step 3. access printer setup via web based ip address supplied by user manual.
step 4. manually set new ip address to match your restaurants intranet (ensure non-conflicting ip address)
step 5. unplug printer.
step 6. plug in printer at work location. - test that it is visible and prints at location. - the printer shoudl then identify itself as cloud printer (if it is a cloud printer) on the work network.

For Google Print services to work for a printer, that printer
- must be connected to Internet
- must have Google Print Client services' server

So - unless your print server explicitely supports Google Print Service, you'll need a mediator PC in the same network where the printer is installed.

Same applies for connecting it directly to a router - that router must support Google Print.

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
i have a printer that is connected on the pc and i can print from other network using google cloud print but my pc that is connected with the printer must be turned on, otherwise the printer won't print. How can i print while my pc is shut down? The printer has to be cloud print ready?

csandreas1

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

So it is not possible to print without a pc? The printer has to be google cloud print ready?

Yes - the printer, or the print server.