Can I use a windows 10 OEM disc to upgrade from windows vista?

sdmfcoroner

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
I've been trying for quite some time to upgrade to windows 10 using an OEM disk. I previously heard you have to do a clean install and currently my HP Firebook VoodooDNA 802 (https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-firebird-with-voodoodna-800-desktop-pc-series/3872031/model/3872036/document/c01634122) isn't allowing me to boot from the CD drive. The drive functions fine whenever I place a CD in but the OEM disk won't run. I searched for "windows 10 oem installation problems" on google and got this thread that seemed to indicate that I would need to make a bootable USB (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3387257/install-windows-oem.html). I have put all of the drivers from the link included in the "Best answer" on a SD card and I'm about to try it out, but before I do, I'm hoping for any additional advice that might help me finally upgrade this rig to the modern day.

Solution
First of all, that OEM disc is not going to get you activated Windows 10 so you may as well make a USB stick with the latest installer using the Media Creation tool, which would boot fine even if your CD drive can't read DVDs (which could be what the problem is).

If you do want to keep your Vista applications, you can indeed upgrade to 10 but not directly--just upgrade to Windows 7 first. You do not need to activate Windows 7 as you will be upgrading to Windows 10 within the 30-day grace period, and you'll have to pay for 10 anyway. Windows 8.1 used to work as well for this, but Microsoft removed its grace period.

As upgrades happen right from the desktop of the old OS, you won't be needing to boot from anything to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
SD card or USB? You can only fresh install win 10 using a DVD or USB

there is no upgrade path from windows vista. So fresh is only choice.

What is a parts list of PC? Do you have windows 10 drivers to use on motherboard? you might run into problems otherwise

If you use the media creation tool to create a USB, and your bios lets you boot off USB,
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

First of all, that OEM disc is not going to get you activated Windows 10 so you may as well make a USB stick with the latest installer using the Media Creation tool, which would boot fine even if your CD drive can't read DVDs (which could be what the problem is).

If you do want to keep your Vista applications, you can indeed upgrade to 10 but not directly--just upgrade to Windows 7 first. You do not need to activate Windows 7 as you will be upgrading to Windows 10 within the 30-day grace period, and you'll have to pay for 10 anyway. Windows 8.1 used to work as well for this, but Microsoft removed its grace period.

As upgrades happen right from the desktop of the old OS, you won't be needing to boot from anything to install them.

Solution

sdmfcoroner

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

I sent all the files I downloaded from the orignal forum onto the SD card and I'll look into a USB soon. I haven't altered the PC since I bought it and the previous owner didn't alter it either so I'm running the orignal vista that came with the desktop as far as I'm aware. The problem I've encountered is that I can't format the primary drive and don't know how to make it work and the disk won't autorun an intallation program whenever I insert it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think the only way you will get windows 10 to work on that PC is if you went the way BFG suggests and upgrade vista to win 7 and then upgrade it to win 10. The hardware in your PC is old and may not work properly if you just wiped the hard drive in a win 10 install, as windows 10 may not have drivers for it anymore. The motherboard chipset isn't supported by Intel anymore, so finding drivers would be hard.

Upgrading from 7 to 10 will at least let you use win 7 drivers as they have a better chance of working. If your PC had win 8 drivers I would suggest it, but I looked and the only 2 versions of windows supported are vista and win 7: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-firebird-with-voodoodna-800-desktop-pc-series/3872031/model/3872036

that PC has the same GPU as my last PC did. Mine was made in 2006 so yours is a little newer. IT was still made 10 years ago and support from hardware makers was dropped years ago so making it work on 10 could be a headache. Upgrading to 7 and then 10 would be the best choice.

sdmfcoroner

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
Update: I did attempt to make a bootable USB and boot from there but so far it hasn't worked. I'm actually glad that it didn't as I need to get the drivers for everything I'll be losing. I had the idea of just unplugging the physical hard drive that contains the Vista OS and installing 10 on the other, but I don't currently know how to gain access to the other half of the case. I'll be trying BFG's solution as soon as it's possible as I'm just kinda tired of the headache that this thing has been giving me.