EVGA 430 W1 or Antec VP450P...or corsair? (budget)

kajen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
I need a PSU for an old computer (Intel Core2Duo), used for browsing the net mostly. So capacity not neeeded, but low noise, safety and durability is. Low price also and PCI-E (uses HD3850) needed.

1. EVGA 430 W1, 80+ WHITE. Priced a bit below the Corsair CX (so quite affordable). Is it more durable than Corsair CX or at least VS-series? How does it compare to the Antec below?

2. Antec VP450P. Best safety and durability of the budget ones?? But it's a bit over my budget. Same goes for Antec ea-380D.

3. Why is the Corsair CX 430M in particular recommended in the guide in this forum? It could just as well be one with more watts and the M is just for modular?
Corsair VS 450 most affordable I can find. But even lower qual. than CX, but worth the extra price? Also VS and CX have different warranty times (3 vs. 5??)?

4.Rosewill is NOT available here, and Seasonic 520W S12II and EVGA 2 are way too expensive.
Better choices with price tag same or below the Antecs?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Antec VP450p is the best of the ones listed. The Corsair CX450M would be the best choice, it's a very good psu that runs reasonably inexpensive. Don't confuse it with the CX430 which is an older design and not that good for gaming purposes, but quite good for office work stations. For your pc needs, the CX430 would suffice as there's no hard draws from a large gpu. The Evga W1 is not really recommended, it's a very low end unit that lacks any real protections and is cheaply made.

kajen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
So the Antec over the corsair CX450M then? Do you know if the CX has 3 or 5 years warranty? Feels strange to buy the Antec with 2 if the CX really has 5 years?

Is the CX450M otherwise the same as CX450 but the latter without the modular?

The the "builder series" is the same as the other CX:s? The CX500 is the same price here almost as the CX450 but it says "builder series".

is that the cx 450 2017 version? if so, its based on a new improved platform is a decent unit. the cx450m is also better than the antec. only the old cx430 and vs series are trash from corsair. And yes, the builder series is also based on the old cx platform iirc, so dont but that.

^ I would honestly still put the old cx430 as a better unit overall than an antec vp450p, I don't think it deserves its reputation at all.

If its the 450 or 450m it's just way way better anyway.

kajen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
Thanks for the response guys!

It's a bit tricky to make out which are builder series and which are not. There are seemingly also CX M-labelled products that are builder series.
Like this one:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx450m-450-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-modular-atx-psu-eu
Does that fact that is says "2015" mean builder series, basically?

When did the CX series start having better builds?
Also found one with this product number:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx450-450-watt-80-plus-bronze-certified-atx-psu-eu
Not sure how to know if it's 2017 or some other year build.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Any CX 450 is decent. CX 430 is mediocre but acceptable. The M one listed in your link above is the best of the bunch. The lower link is EU (European) version.

And Corsair has been upgrading their psu lines since 2015, including a newer released TXM line.

kajen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017

So doesn't it matter that the CX450 M that I linked first says "2015" version? On some shop they said it was a "builder series" CX450M.

The second one I linked doesn't say 2015 which makes me wonder whether it's a newer version than 2015?

Also this third one I'm considering:
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx500-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply-na-refurbished
It's a 500 w, but with only 3 years warranty. And a shop names it "builder series" and "V2".

This is super confusing :eek:

kajen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
But to narrow it down: I think i'll choose either the CX450M or the CX450. As Antec's 2 year warranty is too low in comparison.
If the CX450 is of a newer more durable build, then I'd choose that one as modular is unecessary for me.
But how on earth do I really know :eek: These two that is:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx450m-450-watt-...
http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx-series-cx450-450-watt-8...

They are both fine , they're DC+DC regulated units & far better than the old 2012 CX models.

Any CX with the wattage 450/550/650 is the newer platform model irregardless of whether they're semi-modular or not.

They all come with a 5 year warranty rather than the 2 year warranty you got with the older models.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Welcome to the wonderful world of Corsair CX.

Ok. The CX has has several different revisions over the years. As is, the CX is a basic/entry level psu, so we're often labeled as 'builder series' because they were a somewhat reliable, but very cheap psu that's sold worldwide. The older CX has a Green CX and white numbers. Came in 430/500/600/700 sizes. In 2013 there was a revision, not only added 'M' (which meant modular version) to the basic series, but also added 550/650/750 sizes. Still retained the Green CX. In 2015 there was a major revision, and many of the older sizes were now discontinued in favor of the newer platform. The revised decal units are silver/grey/black. In 2017, the remaining sizes that weren't discontinued were revamped finally but kept the older green lettering.

So. Old 'builder/basic' series have green letters and should be avoided as they are the old group regulated platform. The newer silver/black lettering is dc/dc platform and quite superior to the old green letters. But you will still get the various sizes, 430/450/500/550/600/650/700/750/850.

You only need the smaller versions, 430/450, the 430w is fine, you have an older cpu, dc/dc is best used on Haswell or newer cpu. But the 450w is a considerably better unit than the revamped 2017 CX430. Either one comes with a 'M' version although generally the newer versions are easiest to fine CXM, the older versions easier to find non-'M' with set wires.

Because of the sheer amount of CX produced over the years it's not surprising that even shops are confused, or maybe deliberately using 'builder series' to promote sales of more expensive units.

CX450M > Antec VP450p > CX430 (2017) >>>>>>>> Evga W1

Yeah, get the Grey labeled cxm / cx. And just to point out, the cx 2017 is 450w not 430. And I actually mailed a corsair rep asking what platform the new cx 2017 uses and he told its a mixed inventory of cwt and great wall? And that it's a series resonant circuitry with a single rail and slightly cheaper caps.
On the other hand, Antec is good with the platform, it's not a group regulated design but doesn't have pfc so no 80+ rating? Otherwise I read somewhere it passes with 87% efficiency

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
80+ is a voluntary certification by a 3rd party (80+.org). That's it. It's not a standard like ATX. It really has no use other than to tell consumers that their cpu falls into a certain efficiency range at 20%/50%/100% loads. If Antec chose not to submit that psu for certification, that's upto them, but at least they are honest about it by not advertising it like many do, and falsely.

kajen

Reputable
Oct 22, 2017
Thanks again for the informative explantions!
I ended up ordering a CX450, gray label :) 5 years warranty was the deal breaker in the end