Gigabit Internet: CAT6 wired download speeds very slow

croutgallant

Prominent
Oct 22, 2017
Directly connected via Ethernet to HomeHub 3000 via CAT6 (100ft spooled from Monoprice):

Network adapter: Broadcam Netlink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet:

4r8lpJ2.png

Home Hub 3000 Speed Test:

n0OUscg.png

Speed test results (speedtest.net, testm.net and speedof.net):

YWYSAK4.png

I've also tested it with Cat5e cable and got nearly twice the download speed (still underwhelming though). Do I just have a bum CAT6 cable?

I am assuming the history one is some kind of speedtest the router itself does ?

Monoprice generally sells quality cable unlike some of the crap CCA cable you can get on amazon. If you put the ends on yourself though that can cause packet loss....although it more commonly will just not negotiate a 1g connection.

When you have a high speed internet connection the router processing power become more important. Most of the newer advanced routers have hardware accelerated nat. If you turn it off even the routers with the largest cpu you max out at about 250mbit.

So it could be a bottleneck in your router.

I would try a lan testing tool. There are a number of them but I use the old line mode iperf command. You would test between 2 machines plugged into 2 lan ports. Going lan-lan does not use the CPU in the router and would see if you might have a cable issue.

I have not used homehub so check to see if it has options related to cut through or nat hardware acceleration. Be sure to not use any QoS or firewall settings these tend to disable the hardware acceleration and put the burden back on the CPU