Evga G2 series concerns

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
I found this thread on LinusTechTips forum:

The EVGA G2 lineup is considered by many to be very high quality, the P2 considered fantastic, but the latest testing by professional reviewers shows that some or perhaps all of these units have a serious flaw that won't harm the PSU but could harm your other hardware. It's important to explain the concepts before anything. Very few reviewers test for this stuff - Aris, who does power supply reviews on Tomshardware and Techpowerup, very recently started a new test. This new test shows that many units have newly revealed flaws, and this problem exists with the EVGA G2 and P2 lineup. The EVGA G2 series is a direct copy of the Superflower Leadex Gold series. The EVGA P2 series is a direct copy of the Superflower Leadex Platinum series.

Old Hold-Up Time Tests

In the past, most power supply reviewers would test "hold-up time" as the amount of time from when there is AC loss (i.e. power outage) to when the unit shuts off, while under full load. For example, if a power supply is under 100% load and there is a power outage, if it takes 20ms for the power supply to shut off, it would be defined as having a hold-up time of 20ms. However, this is not an actual test with what hold-up time really is, and new tests reveal new realities. The old hold-up time tests are not in exact accordance with the definition of hold-up time.

Hold-Up Time

Hold-up time is defined as the time period from when there is AC loss to when a voltage goes below ATX specification. The ATX specification for the 12V rail is from 11.4V to 12.6V. So if there is AC loss and it takes a power supply 20ms until its 12V voltage gets down to 11.4V, then 20ms is the hold-up time. Some people incorrectly define hold-up time as the time between AC loss and when the power supply shuts off. This is incorrect; a power supply may actually shut itself off after hold-up time. Hold-up time is strictly the amount of time from AC loss until a voltage goes out of specification.

AC_LOSS to PWR_OK_OFF

When there is AC loss, the voltage outputs of the power supply begin to drop to lower numbers. It is the job of the circuitry of the power supply to detect this and shut off the unit before the voltages go below the ATX specification. Basically, under-voltage protection. Before any of those voltages go out of specification, the power supply is supposed to cut the PWR_OK signal. The PWR_OK signal is a cable in the main 24-pin ATX cable used to communicate with the motherboard. When on, it's telling the motherboard that its voltages are all safe. When the PWR_OK signal is cut, circuitry is supposed to shut off the power supply as fast as possible so the voltages don't go out of specification.

The latest testing methods in renowned power supply reviews are AC_LOSS to PWR_OK tests. This tests the duration of time it takes from there being AC loss to the computer dropping the PWR_OK signal. So, for example, if there is a power outage, your computer is under full load, and your power supply has an AC_LOSS to PWR_OK time of 18ms, then in 18ms your power supply will tell your motherboard, "Hey! Voltages are about to get low. Better shut me off now." And then the unit will be shut down quite rapidly once the PWR_OK signal is dropped.

There is a catch though: some power supply units drop the PWR_OK signal after the voltages go out of specification. This means when there is AC_LOSS, the power supply will continue providing the computer with energy as those voltages go deeper and deeper below the ATX specification. Once it gets to a certain low point, then it'll cut the PWR_OK signal, after harm has already been done. In a way, this is a cheating method used by power supply manufacturers to do well on old hold-up time tests that check the duration of AC_LOSS to PSU shutdown time. This cheating method is also dangerous.

EVGA G2 550 Flaw

The EVGA 550 G2 has this exact flaw. It drops the PWR_OK signal at 10.8V. This information can be found at the Tomshardware Superflower Leadex Gold 550 review here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/super-flower-leadex-gold-550w-power-supply,4416-4.htm

"The hold-up time tests don't go well. Not only is the measured hold-up less than 16ms (the ATX spec's minimum), but the Power_OK signal drops after, and not before, the PSU's rails go out of spec. This means that your motherboard gets a false power-good signal from the PSU. Indeed, we measured the +12V rail floating at around 10.8V when Power_OK dropped to zero. This is a very low voltage level that applies lots of stress to the voltage regulators of components fed by +12V.

In a high-end PSU like this one, we didn't expect such nasty behavior. We have to admit that we're very disappointed by Super Flower's decision to drop the power-good signal so late, which is probably done to give the false impression that the hold-up time lasts longer. By the end of our review, this is going to cost to this PSU a lot of performance points. Whereas it might have received an award for performance, there's no way it will now."

Some of you may be thinking, "Oh, it's just 10.8V, no big deal." No, this is a big deal. Power supply experts like Aris (who did the above review) say it is a serious matter, as well as the experts on the Jonnyguru forums. It is a serious issue, and the EVGA 550 G2 should not be purchased because of it, especially in areas where there are frequent power outages.

It is important to note that Aris did do a review on the EVGA 550 G2 here, but that was before these new tests came about.

EVGA P2 Series Assumed Flaw

Most likely, the entire EVGA P2 lineup has the same issue, but right now it is merely speculation (but a pretty good one). The Superflower Leadex Platinum 550 review here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/super-flower-leadex-platinum-550w-power-supply,4281-4.html

This review was before the PWR_OK to AC_LOSS tests. Hold-up time was tested to be 13.8ms. That is below the ATX specification. There is no doubt in my mind that it probably drops the PWR_OK signal at 10.8V just like the EVGA 550 G2, in order to "cheat" and get good hold-up times on the old hold-up time tests.

EVGA T2 is Safe

The EVGA Titanium lineup has been tested and does not have this issue.

EVGA G2: Rest of Lineup

As of now, the non-550W versions of the EVGA G2 lineup may have these issues, but we cannot know for sure. Power supply experts are pretty confident the rest of the G2 lineup does have this problem, which is very important.

What to do Now?

Realize that sometimes units we think are incredible really are not. Everybody likes to go around forums talking about how fantastic the EVGA G2 lineup is, but with this problem, how can it be? It shouldn't make any high tier on any list, because Superflower cheats to get good hold-up time on old tests, and sets far too low under-voltage protection values. It is a serious matter, because the VRMs of all your hardware can be seriously affected by such a low voltage, 10.8V. There is a reason the ATX specification exists. 10.8V is two times out of the specification.

I bought Evga G2 850W last year. Because it is overkill for my setup (more futureproof) and it has 10 year warranty I will have it minimum for the next 10 years. Should I be worried because of this problem? I don`t want that this to cause any damage to my components....

4745454b

Titan
Not a huge problem. First, as you said, you have an overkill PSU. You won't be going from 100% load to 0. Assuming you have a typical system you'll be going from 25-33% load to 0. This will drain the caps at a much slower rate. Second, unless you live in a horrible area, having your power cut like that doesn't happen often. (Shame on you if you leave your PC on during a storm. That's your issue, not the PSU.) Having this happen once or twice isn't going to fry anything. Getting sub 11.4V isn't going to cause sparks. Going out of spec on the low end doesn't cause your PSU to explode. It's a fail/issue, but not something that I would get worried about.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So what's Evga/SuperFlower going to do about current psus in use? I'm sure future units will probably have this issue rectified, but what about current users? Is this enough to call for RMA or recall or is it a buyer beware situation and 'so sorry, but you bought it live with it'?

I don't think it would hurt to give EVGA a call and see.

I know if I had one in the area I live in I would replace it.

The power can go out around here at anytime, I have had the power go off and on like 10 times in less than a min. And this sort of thing happens a lot in the area I am in.

Unless there is a proven defect in the PSU, then EVGA will not RMA it. The PSU's only Achilles heel is the hold up time (on the 850W variant....the 750W variant has better hold up time). And has been said here, if you run your PSU during a thunderstorm then that's on you, not EVGA. I understand that the new 850W G3 using SF's Leadex IIhas slightly better hold up time to 16ms.

About the only thing that can possibly be done here is to call for a class action lawsuit for the holdup time being out of ATX spec (and there would be a LOT of ATX PSUs that would fall into that same lawsuit). I just don't see it happening.

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016
About how high number of power outtages are we talking about? 3-4 per month or more than 10?

So it is not a big deal? Usually in winter time I have ~3-4 power outtages in month, but mostly at night when computer is off, rarely at day....

I have talked about this with the author himself.

Its not nice that evga did not adress this problem. thats one
However the only problem that it could give is when the power drops out ( from for instance a thunderstorm) and you were writing writing or installing something. That file or program might have been corrupted.

But this doesn't take away that this unit is one of the most stable powersupplies.
But yeah it wasn't nice evga didn't adress this.

It's not about the amount of outages, it's how often your computer is on and being used during said power outages that matters. Since you said most of the time they happen and night with the PC powered off, I think you answered your own question. It's not a big deal.

I've been a long time EVGA fan between GPUs and PSUs. However, ever since the GTX 970 issue, my confidence in them did take a hit. The only reason I still recommend their products, specifically among GPUs and PSUs, is that their customer support is the best in the industry. And I had to RMA one of my 970s that I had SLI'd due to a bad display port output. The RMA process was painless and moved quickly.

On a sidenote about customer support:

- evga their customer is amazing
- msi their customer support is amazing
- corsair is amazing
- ASUS is decent, they will help you but they have got a very strict inspection and do not as easily accept used products
- seasonic like asus they have got a nice customer support but are very strict

4745454b

Titan
Again, this isn't really an issue. Low power isn't going to fry your system. It's not sending a spike into your system that's going to cause it to explode. It's a low voltage issue. That happens only if the power is cut. So most of us will never see this. I'd like to see some 50% to 0% figures. Most people don't load their PSU up to 100% Hold up time should be better with a lighter load. Though as I understand things the PWR_Good signal still wouldn't turn off at the correct time.

I really don't see this as much of an issue though. They aren't sending spikes on shut down or something like that. It's an out of spec PSU now sure, but under an odd condition. I don't worry about out of spec CL1 test were the 12V rail is loaded to 0A. I don't care if things go out of spec there, that condition is never going to be seen.

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

So let me conclude all this to see if I understood this because this is not my area :ange:

Small problem should only have people who will use PSU at 100% load like bitcoin miners?

In future if I buy Ryzen 7 - Zen2 + RX Vega 56 I should be around 50% of my PSU load. If during heavy gaming with that spec I have power outage there won`t be any problems, any fried components?

Mostly before I buy something I always look amazon and newegg reviews and Evga has really great users reviews, havent`t found anything of fried - destroyed components.

Is this "problem" only in these premium PSU level - it has bad reponse time in that level, comparing to middle range PSU level EVGA has better response time than most middle range PSU?

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

It can be really helpful sometimes :)

example: I was going to buy some Acer monitor but in many reviews, not just one, was stated that this monitor after some time got yellow horizontal line. Not a coincidence if there is more than one.

4745454b

Titan
Small problem should only have people who will use PSU at 100% load like bitcoin miners?

No. 100% to 0% is just the test. That way the PSU is loaded to a normalized amount. Our real world test would just have it going from 75% to 0%, or 50% to 0%. What I was saying is that hold up time should change because the main cap is still charged to 100%. That main cap is supposed to keep the system going for the ATX spec of 18 or 20ms? So if you aren't drawing full power, it should meet the ATX spec then? Just my idea, nothing I've seen in tests. In the end it doesn't matter, as the PWR_Good signal isn't cut at the right time.

In future if I buy Ryzen 7 - Zen2 + RX Vega 56 I should be around 50% of my PSU load. If during heavy gaming with that spec I have power outage there won`t be any problems, any fried components?

You should be around 50% of the 850W PSU. As I said above, there shouldn't be any friend things because it's a power loss issue, not a surge. Power surges are really good at frying things. Power dips tend to cause errors in calculations, reduced frequencies/slowness, unstable system, etc. Over time it can cause parts to die, but not very fast.

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

Ok, thanks for answers:)

I found this reviews on techpowerup:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_G2_850/6.html

Seems like G2 850W passed the test...or if I understood correctly on Linus forum guy wrote this:

"Superflower is aware of it because they deliberately did it. They want their PSU to seem like it has better "hold-up time" than it really does. They were the ones who put the 10.8V value in their integrated circuit in the PSU."

So in techpowerup is a real score or they somehow faked it? :??:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Hold up time is the amount of time from AC input loss to one of the DC outputs going out of spec at 100% load. The issue is that many reviewers are measuring it as time from AC loss to the power Power_OK signal going low. That's what techpowerup is doing. Also, that's a review for the 850 G2, which has a different hold up time than the 550 G2 being discussed in this thread. We don't know what kind of threshold is used for the Power_OK signal in the 850 G2.

There are two different issues here. The 550 G2 fails the ATX specification of at least 17 ms hold up time. I don't think anyone particularly cares about this, especially because no one is running there PSU at 100% load so your actual hold up time would be longer. The 2nd issue is that the DC output goes out of spec before the Power_OK signal drops. ATX specs say that Power_OK should go low at least 1ms before voltage goes out of spec. That's a bigger deal, although as already pointed out in this thread it will probably never even come up for most people.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
I own it and never had a single issue , been running it for years now.
s6iOLLJ.jpg

SteelOwl

Commendable
Mar 31, 2016

Through years did you have power brownouts and blackouts? Not a single problem, that some other componetns died that is connected to that PSU?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Hold up time is more for allowing a UPS time to switch over from AC power to its internal batteries in the case of a black/brown out, along with providing the system at least some warning before power is lost. It's not there to keep your PC running while your power is flickering on and off. If you live somewhere with terrible AC quality, that's probably not particularly good for your system or PSU regardless of hold up time.