Can cold affect PSU fan?

samiollikainen1989

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Lately I have had problems with my PSU fan (Corsair 650W, VS650, ATX-Power Supply). It starts randomly making loud buzzing or grinding noise, similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wit1GCYdB5I

I've cleaned the PSU, even took it out to get best possible dusting, and it did not seem to fix the issue. Then I realized that earlier the sound appeared when my window was open and my computer had been off for a while (my case is on my desk maybe 20cm-30cm away from the ventilation window). Could the problem be, that since the temperature in my room has gone down (poor heating) the PSU fan is acting up? After all cooler the parts, more shrinkage there is, or atleast that is what my physics lessons have told me. And if this is the case, any suggestions to combat that? Other than "fixing" the heating, since I'm already trying to do that.

Your name implies Finland as your homeland. Recently temps hasn´t been below -10C, and the PC was indoors, albeit being close to a ventilation windows, so I doubt your PSU problems are temp related. Especially not related to material shrinkage due to temp. I´d go with Helpstars suggestion.

Nigel

prodigy_rus

Prominent
Feb 13, 2018
I have exactly same problem (vs550). It definitely acts like this because of low temperature. But somehow first 2 years this problem didnt exist. I also think, after winter is over, it won't bother me :)
PC shut down and then turning on again helps ...

Buzzing comes from capacitors i've tested hot load with my PC as helpstar said they are poor quality and i can confirm it.
Inside there is plastic cover to push air but covers half of 120mm fan which is absurd.
But still the load on 12V is consistent with my build.

Im using 120mm as exhaust and helps with buzzing noise.