Why can I see all files on home network even though none are shared?

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I've set up my three pc's on my home network so that I can access all folders from each to the others. I can read and write. The thing is, I can't figure out how I did it so I can undo it! Here's what I know so far:

• ■ The PC's aren't in a homegroup.
    ■ The three PC's are: Win10 desktop, Win10 laptop, Win7 desktop.
    ■ In each pc's folders, the Properties "Sharing" tab says Network Path: Not Shared and the Share button is greyed out.
    ■ That being said, Share Wizard is turned OFF, so it shouldn't be greyed out, right?
    ■ Advanced sharing, Share this folder isn't checked.
    ■ C: drive is same, Not Shared, Network Path Not Shared, Advanced Sharing is not checked by Share this folder.
    ■ In the Security tab of each folder's properties two "Account Unknown" are present. I *think these are my other two pc's? When I went into Advanced Security Settings and double clicked them, setting permissions to Deny, I could still read the files from my other pc's, but couldn't edit them. Since this didn't fix it, I put them back the way they were. Both of them have Read & execute, List folder contents, and Read checked.
    ■ Current Network profile is Private, Network discovery is on, as is automatic setup of network connected devices, File and printer sharing is on, and Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections.

Can't think of any other details. Any clues on where I should look next would be greatly appreciated! I can't believe I didn't take notes when I made the changes that created this setup in my pages of notes on how to set up home networks!! But I've been at this for a work day, so I could use any help.

Solution
I don't have any Windows 10 rigs. Mine are 8.1, 7 and an XP machine for Audio Recording software. Maybe they changed something in 10?

Home networks and file sharing have always been a bit of a mystery to me. I can share easily between the 8.1 and 7 machines, but the XP machine is a little odd (they had workgroups back then). For the most part, I only copy ProTools session files (audio and such) over the network from the XP machine to my everyday computer as a backup, which has been working fine.

I am sure there are some folks here who will be able to immediately know the issue and give you a solution. It may just take some time to get your thread noticed.
Under Advanced Sharing settings, under All Networks, Public Folder Sharing, try clicking on Turn off Public Folder Sharing.

I am not much of a home network expert, but do have a homegroup set up, and only allow certain directories on each computer to be shared.

Maybe the PC's need to be in a homegroup to allow specific file sharing, otherwise they are just part of the same network and all files can be seen. What I'm thinking that it is the homegroup that limits file sharing to specific files/folders. I could be off base with that assumption, but that is how my network is set up.

Halo Diehards

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Thing is, when I started all of this I couldn't access any of my pc's from any of the others, so I had to have changed *something. I need to unchange it, because it's still there when I join a HomeGroup, because they're accessing each other from the Network.

I don't have any Windows 10 rigs. Mine are 8.1, 7 and an XP machine for Audio Recording software. Maybe they changed something in 10?

Home networks and file sharing have always been a bit of a mystery to me. I can share easily between the 8.1 and 7 machines, but the XP machine is a little odd (they had workgroups back then). For the most part, I only copy ProTools session files (audio and such) over the network from the XP machine to my everyday computer as a backup, which has been working fine.

I am sure there are some folks here who will be able to immediately know the issue and give you a solution. It may just take some time to get your thread noticed.

Solution