[Dual Boot] Windows XP & Windows 10 Issue

abdelabdeleim

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Hello, I'm new here and I'm not a tech expert but I'll try to be as precise as possible.

So I had Windows XP pre-installed on my PC and I wanted to install Windows 10 as a dual boot. The main disk partitions were C:WINRE as primary and active (system), F:WINDOWS XP (boot) and D: as a data folder. I split the D: and created a G: partition where I would install Windows 10. I inserted in the CD and proceeded with the installation, installed Windows 10 on G:, but when everything was done I logged into the Windows 10 system to check the disk partitions, and noticed that the G: partition got renamed C: and C:WINRE lost its drive letter so now it's called simply WINRE. I don't know if it matters but I had to mention it.

I restarted my PC and on the log screen I selected use previous version of Windows (Windows XP) but as it was booting it gave me the error

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the windows decumentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I rebooted, selected Windows 10 and proceeded to the home screen. I brought up the CMD, typed diskpart, list volume, and noticed that drive C: was listed as boot. I tried changing the active partition to F:WINDOWS XP so it could maybe boot that time, I typed select volume, active, but then came up with the error

"the specified partition type is not valid for this operation".

What should I do to set the partition as boot? Or any way I could make Windows XP load up, without having to format or restore anything, as all my important files and data are on the F: drive.

Thanks in advance

Solution
You don't need to make the windows XP partition bootable,all the boot info is on the first partition the system sees.
Get into windows 10 and run the free version of easybcd,go to the "add a new entry" tab and choose to add windows nt/2k/xp/2k3 it will take over the correct configuration.
You don't need to make the windows XP partition bootable,all the boot info is on the first partition the system sees.
Get into windows 10 and run the free version of easybcd,go to the "add a new entry" tab and choose to add windows nt/2k/xp/2k3 it will take over the correct configuration.

Solution