Keyboard / Mouse Not working after power outage

c_s_kelley

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
OK,

System boots - I get error
Bad system config info

System reboots into Automatic recovery, cannot use keyboard or mouse.

I have tried all the unplug / replug , system image, etc.

System image boots,

I get a screen that says:

It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click YES. If you want to perform a clean installation, Click NO.

If I click YES, then I return to the no Keyboard / mouse issue.

If I click NO,

Then I go into Windows Setup.

Click Next then Repair Your Computer.

Click Troubleshoot

I get the following:

System Restore - No restore points, so this is unavaliable
System Image Recovery - No System Image, so this is unavaliable
Startup repair - Ran once, but did not resolve problem, now returns with no problems found.
Command Prompt - I tried all the Command Prompt fixes I found, no help
Go Back to previous version - I guess I could revert, but did not want to do that unless there are no other options.

What should I try next - And no PS/2 jacks, so cannot go to a PS/2 Keyboard.

System is an HP Pavilion P6000 Series that came with Win7. Upgraded to Win10 at least a year ago. Had a power outage, system went down. Now we are in this situation. Want to avoid Wipe / Reload and Reversion to Win7.

Solution
use a USB2.0 port with a usb keyboard and at this screen:
It looks like you started an upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove the media from your PC and click YES. If you want to perform a clean installation, Click NO.

press escape

install windows 10 freshly with the install media, you won´t need win7 to install again, the licence will activate itself (over the internet), because the system was activated before.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

use a USB2.0 port with a usb keyboard and at this screen:

press escape

install windows 10 freshly with the install media, you won´t need win7 to install again, the licence will activate itself (over the internet), because the system was activated before.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Solution