Computer Shuts Off Randomly During Gameplay - Might Be CPU

james_bevan

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry if it's in the wrong place, new to the site and not sure where to ask it, but my problem is in the title, computer occasionally turns off during some games, specifically games that put more stress on the computer, like how GTA V would make it turn off faster than something like The Sims.

I've already done some research and suspect it may be the CPU overheating, but just need a bit of confirmation,

I previously suspected the case to be the issue as i'm not sure how well the air flow is, it's the NZXT H440, and all the fans are facing the right direction etc, and my PC is in a more enclosed area, but i didn't think would be an issue because there are no side fans to worry about, however some people with similar issues to me say it could be the CPU, and would make sense because one time I forgot to plug in the CPU cooler and it shut off not too long after startup, obviously, almost exactly the same as it would, except for one thing, when it shuts off in gameplay, i have to unplug and re-plug the computer otherwise it will not turn on/light up, so after turning off during games, i cannot just turn it back on, i need to unplug it then plug it back in, to make myself clear. When I left the cooler unplugged by accident, it didn't do that, i could just turn it back on, which is why i'm skeptical.

Tried third-party monitoring software including NZXT's own CAM, temperatures seem normal, both CPU and GPU around 30-33 degrees, reaching around 70-80 degrees on full load and not going above.

Also worth noting, I have a corsair water-cooler (not sure which, but it was around £30), but does make a clicking noise that sounds like hard drive ticks but arent, and they get faster the longer my pc is on for.

specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760
RAM: 8GB
PSU: Not 100% sure, because I've replaced it, however an older PSU which still had the issue was a Tech Solo 650W ATX (STP-650)
Case: NZXT H440
Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to be specific and I really need help, this has been going on for over a year now. First recorded instance by my computer was 8th August 2016.

Check the thermal margins with AMD Overdrive; if they don't go below 10°C at full load, then the issue probably isn't the CPU. Does the issue occur if you stress test the GPU with Furmark GPU stress test a similar tool?

james_bevan

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017

Thanks, I’ll have to test that in the morning, and most likely yes, I’ve done numerous benchmarks and it’s typically the more graphic-intense ones which might lead me to my GPU, but as time moves on, I think it’s the GPU less and less but I’m not sure

Skipping-Bear

Reputable
Dec 12, 2014
i had an 8350 before and that is a tell tale sign with the 8350 with temps mine did the same thing when i was testing and trying to get a stable oc. mine didnt even throttle it just shut off. and im pretty sure that the max temp before safty measures are taken like shutting off is 65-70c

It may have powered off because the VRM or another component was too hot. Since only AMD Overdrive (thermal margins, not temperatures) is accurate, the 65-70°C that you saw may have been misleading.