my computer boots into a black screen. it's been 3 days, i have no idea what's happening, and i'm desperate

tehnoblol111

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
So yea. My computer hates me. What's happening is every time I boot up, it goes past my motherboard logo, into the Windows 10 loading logo, waits a bit-- then turns black. sometimes I get a flash, if I'm lucky.
I'm in safe mode with networking right now. Here's a list of things I've tried:

• - fiddling with boot order in bios
    - unplugging everything
    - uninstalling and deleting display adapter drivers (Radeon's just reappears a few minutes after
    uninstalling tho?)
    - reinstalling windows (not a factory reset, but what you do from the recover screen)
    - system restore
    - different monitor
    - disabling every startup service
also my resolution is different in safe mode, so i thought it was a graphics card problem? but i don't know i just want my computer back :(
SPECS
CPU: Intel i5 4570 @ 3.20 GHz 3.19 GHz (this is on the This PC Properties screen)
RAM: 8 gb
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200
PSU: seasonic 550w
Storage: ADATA SP920SS SCSI Disk Device
Two 1TB hard drives from seagate
ASUS DRW-24B1ST disk drive
please help i suck at computers and it's been 3 days

Solution
Get a utility like DDU and completely uninstall the AMD drivers. That will switch you back to low res integrated graphics. Then get latest AMD drivers for your card and install.
If the monitor has yellow triangle next to it in the device manager, you may need some sort of drivers for your monitor as well. What model do you have? What connection are you using to connect to the gpu? DVI? HDMI? Do you have any other cables you can use to connect via a different connector, instead of the one you're using now?

Sedivy

Estimable
If you're in safe mode, reinstall your graphics drivers. Open your event viewer and look for timestamp around the time of your boot +/- few minutes. Look for critical events. Write out id and description.
Also while in safe mode, try opening your device manager and see if there are any yellow triangles with ! next to any of the devices.
Do a scannow:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93?auth=1
to fix any issues. This is best done on boot from a windows install cd, when you go into repair. If not, do it from safe mode by opening a command prompt.

tehnoblol111

Prominent
Oct 24, 2017
I tried reinstalling the AMD one with one i downloaded. Then it said i had to go into Driver recovwry mode, which i can't because THE SCREEN TURNS BLACK.

The monitor has a yellow triangle. Is that it?

Sedivy

Estimable
Get a utility like DDU and completely uninstall the AMD drivers. That will switch you back to low res integrated graphics. Then get latest AMD drivers for your card and install.
If the monitor has yellow triangle next to it in the device manager, you may need some sort of drivers for your monitor as well. What model do you have? What connection are you using to connect to the gpu? DVI? HDMI? Do you have any other cables you can use to connect via a different connector, instead of the one you're using now?

Solution

torchy663

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017
hardware first
does your monitor work?
does your graphics card work

i had a similar problem.......monitor cable to pc had come loose.....

then if they work..move on to software