Monitor disconnecting/black screen issue

Viridian112

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
So I've had an iiyama GB2488HSU-B1 [EDIT: ok, apparently I don't know how to format links x) so here iiyama]https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite_gb2488hsu-b1/]iiyama GB2488HSU-B1] 144hz monitor for around 3 and a half years now - I got it at the start of summer 2014, and it's served me faithfully this whole time (I included a link to the monitor since there are newer editions out now and there doesn't seem to be an abundance of information on the model I have).

Intermittently over the past year or so, the monitor has started to disconnect and go black. Wiggling the cable around usually fixes the issue in some capacity or another, but I've found that also when my desk is jogged or moved slightly, that can also trigger a black screen.

My old graphics card had an mDP connection, so I was using an mDP -> DP cable, which I then replaced. I also upgraded my PC at the start of the year, and have experienced the same issues on this PC - thus ruling out my previous one (and I think/hope this one too) as the issue. I'm now currently using a DVI-D -> DP connection.

I'm wondering if there is any information on why this is happening, and if it could be solved - or if it sounds like a monitor problem and I need to upgrade. Thanks a lot in advance, any advice would be welcomed.

I'll post the main PC specs below in case that's at all relevant:
CPU: i7 6700k @ default clock
RAM: 16GB (1x16GB) Kingston HyperX
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC Edition
PSU: Superflower Leadex 850w
MOBO: MSI Z170A

junii421

Notable
Feb 27, 2017
Adapters aren't too good, I would try to get a connection to the monitor using a direct connection if you would wish not to do that I could help you more in choosing the right adapter for your monitor and gpu, now what input is your monitor? and what output is your gpu?

Viridian112

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012

It wasn't possible on my old computer since my old graphics card only supported mDP, so I had to use an mDP -> DP. On my new computer I tested a native DP connection, but I got no picture at all. Does that mean something's faulty with the monitor?

Atm I'm using DP from my computer -> DVI-D in the monitor. I could theoretically use DVI-D from both ways, but isn't that less preferable due to lower bandwidth capacity?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, full disclosure I'm a noob at this type of stuff. Thanks so much for your reply!