ASUS Z270I Motherboard first startup

adrian5683

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Hi all, complete noob here who just built his first PC in a Phanteks Evolv Shift case using the Strix Z270I motherboard. I bought the motherboard off of Amazon Warehouse (open box deals) which seemed to be brand new and unopened when it arrived. After my build was finished I had trouble booting the PC and had to jumpstart the motherboard, which worked. However the first boot did not work as described in the manual... There was no POST, no beeps, no screen prompts, nothing. I unplugged the PSU and figured out the power button was disconnected at the source in the Phanteks case and managed to fix it. The second boot showed the ASUS logo, any devices connected to the motherboard and went straight into BIOS.

Based on the info above I have a few questions:
1. Are there any side effects for the motherboard not going through POST on its first run?
2. Is there any way to reset the motherboard so it goes through POST again?
3. Could it be caused by me having to jumpstart it on the first boot?

I realize the motherboard may have actually been used once since I got it off of Amazon Warehouse but I swear everything came factory sealed when I received it... I appreciate any feedback even if I'm overreacting to all of this.

You are probably overreacting. Sometimes especially in new builds the first Post isn't successful. You should be worried only if it happens again in the future. What do you mean by saying: "2. Is there any way to reset the motherboard so it goes through POST again?" Do you want to reset the CMOS/BIOS or to just reset the PC in order to reboot?

adrian5683

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Hi panathas, I guess I was looking to reset CMOS. The POST issue has not happened since the second boot so I guess everything is alright. I just overreact when things don't go exactly as described in the manual, probably a Boob's syndrome.

Don't worry, we've all been there. You don't really need to reset the CMOS right now. In case you want to do it in the future, the whole procedure is mentioned in your motherboard's manual. You need to disconnect the PC from the wall (or turn off the PSU switch on the back of your case) and then locate a special jumper on your mobo and enable it. Wait for 1-2 minutes and put the jumper back to its previous position and you are good to go. Also some motherboards have special switches and not jumpers. The mobo's manual is your best friend, don't panic and always be prepared. Good luck.